Thread: Updated Spybot now i cant connect to internet

Default Updated Spybot now i cant connect to internet

received Microsoft.Windows.IEFirewallBypass as an item on the list, had spybot "fix it" now i cant connect to the internet.

its not a hardware issue, as i had dell tech services scratching their head as to why its not connecting. they think spybot removed some files so now they are sending me a OS disc to reinstall those files...

help!...ive never had problems until this current update. it really sucks.

any help would be appreciated.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Try the following:
    • Go into Spybot > Recovery.
    • Check the detections you fixed.
    • Click the "Recover selected items" button.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

i did that and still no connection to the internet. the net was running fine before the update and now i cant connect.

any other suggestions?

Assuming that you are running on a system with a Windows OS that has a system restore capability (ME, XP of Vista), I recommend that try to do a System Restore to a Restore Point immediately prior to when you encountered the problem.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

did the system restore to 2 days prior to the update, still no go...my question since i doubt ill get any direct help here from spybot would the XP OS disc files he (the dell tech) wants to reinstall help me get back online? is it that easy or am i looking at a whole new OS install?

You may be able to do a Repair Installation:

However, it appears that Microsoft snuck some Window updates in that may have rendered a Repair Installation inoperative. See this post:

Speaking of Window updates, there were Window updates released Tuesday (Oct 9th):
    • Security Update for Windows XP (KB933729)
    • Windows XP Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB939653)
    • Windows XP Security Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP (KB941202)
    • Office 2003 Update for Outlook Junk Email Filter 2003 (KB942571)

Did you install any of those updates? If so, where was the System Restore Point in relationship to those updates (before or after)?

nope i have not installed any of the mentioned updates for OCT 9. The initial article link was from september so that update may have been downloaded. The recovery was set for Oct.7th, 3 days before yesterday when the not connecting to the internet issue first started.

if im reading it correctly i would be able to do a recovery just without about 80 patches of updates...im on explorer 7now. would switiching over to firefox keep me somewhat safe or are those 80 patches critical to my system and not so much the browser?

(the second link u sent gives a way to resolve the issue via the register Wups2.dll file method )

but if i get back online do i have an alternative or im i unsafe without those patches regardless of browser?

i guess a major gripe of mine is how i run spybot after this update and now i cant connect. isnt that a major flaw on spybots behalf?

Hancholo:

Quote Originally Posted by Hancholo View Post

if im reading it correctly i would be able to do a recovery just without about 80 patches of updates...im on explorer 7now. would switiching over to firefox keep me somewhat safe or are those 80 patches critical to my system and not so much the browser?

(the second link u sent gives a way to resolve the issue via the register Wups2.dll file method )

but if i get back online do i have an alternative or im i unsafe without those patches regardless of browser? …
    The "Stealth" Windows updates seem to have been done as early as July and as I interpret the situation those updates appear to prevent the installation of additional Windows updates unless you follow the corrective measures in this article:

I do not believe that switching browsers would correct the problem and I believe would only complicate your attempt to get your system functional again.

If you what to use a Repair Installation of your Windows XP system, I believe that you may have to follow the instructions in the article above.

Quote Originally Posted by Hancholo View Post
    … i guess a major gripe of mine is how i run spybot after this update and now i cant connect. isnt that a major flaw on spybots behalf?
    If the problem was caused by fixing a "Microsoft.Windows.IEFirewallBypass" detection in Spybot, it would be "... a major flaw ...".

However, without seeing the actual detection that you received and fixed, personally I am not convinced that fixing that detection is what actually caused your problem.

Various forms of the "Microsoft.Windows.AppFirewallBypass" detection has been around since June 2007. In addition you indicated "… ive never had problems until this current update …" yet the the Updates: 2007-10-10 posting in the Announcements forum did not indicate any changes to the "Microsoft.Windows.IEFirewallBypass" detection.

If you have a method to transfer a file from the system that you can no longer access the internet on, to the system you are using to post in this forum and would like to post the Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm log (Note #1) from the running of Spybot when you encountered the problem, we could take a look at it.

On a Windows XP system the Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log files are stored in the following folder:
    • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs

Note #1: By default here are two Checks.yymmdd-hhmm logs produced during a scan. The second Checks.yymmdd-hhmm has the details of what the scan found. A Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm log is produced if you fix or attempt to fix something.

thanks, ill print this out and find the file from my home comp (the one that cant connect) and ill try and post it from this my work comp.

and as to there not being an change in the notes for the 10-10-upgrade, i hadnt updated spybot since i initially installed it which was before july i believe.

anyways ill try and get those files posted for you by tomorrow...i appreciate all the responses.

one last thing, i think im reading it correctly but the instructions for the resolution are to be done AFTER the repair operation? i had gotten the sense that you were telling me that i wouldnt be able to perform the repair operation at all but its just saying i wouldnt be able to receive the updates after the repair....thankfully the link shows the resolution.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144/en-us