Thread: Uninstalling Spybot S & D.

Question Uninstalling Spybot S & D.

None of the icons or startmenu on my computer would open the program. I have uninstalled Spybot via add/remove successfully. Everything is gone except the program folder and all user files. Can I now delete the program folder and not download your replacement registry files. Or do I need to download the replacement registry files regardless if I reinstall or not?
    Thanx
    Pip.

Thumbs up addition...

running W 2000 Sp4 +

I'm not sure what you mean by replacement registry files.Could you please explain or post a link to where you see this?
    Do you mean the .reg file from the FAQ How to uninstall?
    http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2007-10-13 at 22:46.

Yes I do mean the .reg file after uninstall. The small fix.

Okay,gotcha.
    No,you shouldn't need to use the very small fix,if you'd rather not.That's a .reg file to remove entries left in the registry by Spybot.Most of the registry entries were probably removed after you uninstalled Spybot through add/remove programs,if I remember correctly from the last time I uninstalled and looked to see what was left in the registry.

When you clicked any of the shortcuts to run Spybot before,did it just not start at all,or would it flash and disappear,or anything like that?

The icon on the desktop would not start at all. The icon in the sys tray, which was placed there even though I unchecked the box, did not start at all. The curser showed a timer for a few seconds then stopped in both cases. The link in the start menu seemed to start after about two minutes (occasinaly) and the program opened. Once it was loading, it then stopped and disappeared. When it went through fully running, however, it started to hang. So I decided to close, which took some doing.
    Thanx.
    Pip.
    Last edited by pip_pip; 2007-10-14 at 13:21.

Are you having any other problems on your computer,besides the troubles with Spybot?Any malware problems,or anything like that?

No. I'm very meticulous. I have no problem with any other anti virus, firewall, anti malware, anti adware, anti spyware etc..... programs. Neither have I had any problem lately with any major or minor intrusion, I am certain of this. Spybot is the only program as far as I can tell, that I am currently having a problem with.
    Sorry to be so certain, but 'tis the truth.
    Pip.

Okay,I wanted to check.
    If you are planning on reinstalling Spybot,and it's still acting like that after you reinstall,please post back.I'll dig around and see what I come up with.

ok, thanx. Will do. Just wanted to say my certainty was based on the fact that i just reformatted my computer. Spybot was amongst the first programs installed. Any bugs were eliminated by Firewall, anti virus etc as I went along.

Thanx.