Thread: Help With Registry Change Alert

Question Help With Registry Change Alert

Hello,

I have been using Spybot Search & Destroy for sometime now with no problems it has been an asset to my online experience. Although, recently I am having a problem that I need help to resolve.

When Tea Timer asked me to accept or deny a registry change I said deny, because I have had a malware issue [delit] and I wasn't sure - so I denied. But now there is a constant alert, four or five continous alert boxes, which flash and will not go away. Also, the Spybot "open window" box is open and showing in my task bar. Thus far I have disabled Spybot through Windows Task Manager [ctrl+alt+delete] - although this can't be safe, it's the only way I knew to close the alerts.

The alert dialogue box reads:

Registry Change Denied
    Resident denied change of {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469-BE20F4DAE29} [CATEGORY GLOBAL BROWSER TOOLBAR] based on your black list.

Since I am uncertain if this change request was initiated by me or as part of the malware, spyware and trojans recently detected and removed by McAfee - I don't know what action I should take. My computer seems to be running very slow, stalling, out of virtual memory and may still have some malware, spying issues.

Please help. Thnx.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

2flower:

You evidently denied a registry change and used the "Remember this decision" option and now a similar registry change is being denied at your request.

The message that you posted contains a CLSID that is not formatted correctly and because it is based on a "Remember this decision" and not the original dialog it does nor contain enough information to help determine why you are getting the registry change.

There is a log of the actions taken with TeaTimer. If you post the portion of the Resident.log file that shows that registry change going back to the first time you denied the change, perhaps someone can help you figure out what is happening. To do that:
    • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
    • Page (scroll) to the bottom of the listing and highlight a portion of the log that shows the denied registry change.
    • Then right click and select Copy.
    • Paste (Ctrl+V) the log entries to another post in this thread.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.