Thread: Spybot 1.5 and teatimer????

Default Spybot 1.5 and teatimer????

I have installed the new version of Spybot 1.5 along with teatimer.

The overview page on the site says teatimer should only use around 5 to 6 megs of ram.

For me at first, this is the case but when I let the system sit overnight and check the task manager it shows that teatimer is using 26 megs of ram. If I restart the PC teatimer now starts out as using 26 megs of ram. It dont climb any higher but that is 20 more megs than it is being reported that it uses.

I tried switching to version 1.5 of Spybot and it starts out the same way.Tea timer uses 5 to 6 megs of ram and after overnight it uses the 26 megs. If I reboot it still uses 26 megs.

This is a fresh install of Windows XP Pro corp w/SP2. As for AV software I am using Symantec corp 10. I also use a utility called CachemanXP but have also tried this without CachemanXP.

I have to give this PC back to my sister in law who this PC belongs to. I have reformatted and overhauled this for her.

I am not using Adaware either for a change.

Am I doing something wrong???? Are others experiencing this issue? I have 3 other PC's in this house that are experiencing these same symptoms as this one is using teatimer.

26 megs isnt much I know but on this paticular PC the CPU is only a P3 866 and there are 512MB of ram. This PC runs really nice though and for all she uses it for, it's not worth buying a new system for herself. I know her specs arent the issue as on the other 3 PC's I mentioned, they range from Athlon Barton 3200+, P4 2.4ghz with 1 gig of DDR400, Athlon 64 3000+ with a gig of DDR400. I admit that the new spybot 1.5 runs sluggish on all these pc's as in comparison to version 1.4. It's not bogging the PC's down though, the program just hangs between some screens.

Thanx in advance.

Plumpkatt1
    Last edited by plumpkatt1; 2007-10-13 at 20:33.

I installed the newer beta Helloween version and that solved my spybot startup issues but I am STILL experiencing these issues with Teatimer.

Why is this??????

I have a nearly identical base configuration as you: SAV 10.2 + XP Pro SP2--but no problems except a shocking number of page faults from TeaTimer (millions) per day.

I have more memory and don't use CachemanXP, but a quick Google check shows that one user lowered TeaTimer's memory usage by selecting it in CXP and selecting "Lower memory usage." This only exists now in Google's cache so it may break in the near future. For the benefit of other visitors, this is the text of the quote:
    BillH
    05-17-04, 14:12
    The most mentioned problem with the last three versions of SpyBot has been about the resident protector "TeaTimer" (found in SpyBot RC4, RC5 and SpyBot 1.3 Final) being a resource hog. One cure for that I've found (especially the ram/cpu usage problem) popped out at me today sort of by accident. I hadn't taken a look at Task Manager in about a week and when I did, I did a double take. TeaTimer had jumped from its usual 1,700K-3,200K to a whopping12.3 megs! I noticed this fact in the CachemanXP's list of running processes.(Simple to find. Just double click the CachManXP icon in your start tray and you'll see the startup panel on the right of the CacheMan window that opens.) It occurred to me that there might be a simple fix for the excessive ram and cpu usage right under my nose (Hey that's one of Cachman's mission statements, right?) So, I right clicked TeaTimer and looked at the drop down option list. Sure enough there is an option in the drop down that says "Lower RAM usage." I told cacheman to do so and lo and behold, the RAM usage dropped to 1,300K and CPU usage dropped from 25% constant to 0-2% constant. It's been three hours now and TeaTimer is still sitting at 1,300K solid as a rock. It's a bit of a workaround I know managing it with CacheManXP, but it does work. I wouldn't have bothered messing with TTimer except, since it's been running it's brought at least four or five warnings about emminant registry changes to my attention and asks if I want them to be allowed. Granted the changes were intentional on my part, but it's still nice to know the TeaCup is on the job.
    Bill