Thread: Installation Minimizes, Cancels Itself

Default Installation Minimizes, Cancels Itself

I am attempting to install Spybot Search and Destroy on my Windows XP machine but the installation window keeps minimizing and, eventually, canceling itself. Similarly, when I try to visit certain forums (Windows OneCare and other security sites), my Firefox browser closes. Now, in both cases, it asks me if I really want to close the window but when I click "No" it pops right back up asking the same thing. Has anyone experienced this or know what the problem is and how I can resolve it? Thanks!

Does Firefox only close when you visit security sites,and nowhere else?Could you give me the exact wording of the confirmation close window when firefox asks if you really want to close the site?

Yes, Firefox only closes when I visit security sites (and even then, not ALL of the time). I am not sure of the exact wording when it asks to close Firefox but it reads something like "You have multiple tabs open. Are you sure you want to close them all?"

With regard to installing S&D, I get past the language window (English) and then as soon as the next window opens it says "If you cancel the installation now, the software will not be fully installed. You may continue the installation at a later date. Are you sure you want to cancel?" If I select "yes" it closes. If I select "no" that cancellation window pops right back up and the program minimizes.

I couldn't find much on this,but to be on the safe side of things,you might want to get checked out in the malware removal forums.

The instructions are here:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Malware removal:
    http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Quote Originally Posted by tashi
    If you cannot run the Spybot or Anti Virus scan at all, please go ahead and post the HJT log along with a note regarding scan/s failure.
    Besides the logs,etc.,it might be a good idea if you tell them what you told me here.