Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lingering recurrence Virtumonde after Spybot run.

Default BHO removal

Hello Rorschach,

Thank you for all your help - I really appreciate your expertise and patience.

I followed your instruction running the Hijack This and removed the (no file name) address reference. That seemed to work fine.

Thanks for checking on the Sp2 hotfix update problem. Sounds too easy, as I didn't think those fixes were reversable or removalble. I'll carry this out perhaps after setting up a system restore point.

The only problem I noted after the malware removal was if a program like a browser hung perhaps from a website error or so and I ended the program in task manager it would ask if I wanted to report to MS. When I said yes it would seem to do the report and come up with another window asking if I wanted more information - saying yes to that IE would open up and display some suggestion from MS - like upgrade to SP2 or something like that. We'll I've noticed now the IE window will open but the message back from MS is missing - best I can guess its like MS is denied replying back through IE. This function used to operate ok - I can only assume maybe some permissions were changed with the virus removal operation. Have you run into something like this before?

Other than the above all is working well. Perhaps we are clear. I don't know much about who you are or where you're located but I sure do appreciate your assistance. It's truely kind of you to volunteer your time.

Thank you - owenisch

Retired Security Volunteer

Hello owenisch

Thanks for checking on the Sp2 hotfix update problem. Sounds too easy, as I didn't think those fixes were reversable or removalble. I'll carry this out perhaps after setting up a system restore point.
    That should work hopefully, but maybe not. We can try another solution after if that fails. That sort of area isn't my forte, but I had a friend help me out, so if you wish to try fix it if the first attempt fails, then let me know. Setting up a system restore point before you start is a very good idea though.

I've noticed now the IE window will open but the message back from MS is missing - best I can guess its like MS is denied replying back through IE. This function used to operate ok - I can only assume maybe some permissions were changed with the virus removal operation. Have you run into something like this before?
    I haven't heard of this problem before, so is tough to find out what may be responsible. Any restrictions that were changed by malware, we have fixed, so I doubt that is responsible. It could be a problem with your version of Windows or the fact that they think you don't have SP2. I will ask a friend, but I don't imagine we will find a solution unfortunately.

Other than the above all is working well. Perhaps we are clear. I don't know much about who you are or where you're located but I sure do appreciate your assistance. It's truely kind of you to volunteer your time.
    Good to hear your PC is working well. We are indeed clear ! I'm from Dublin, Ireland, a good bit away, doing my best to try and stop damage done by malware and viruses.

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. Smile

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
    Who watches The Watchmen?

It's like you said. All I am is what I'm going after.

~Scratch~