Thread: Spybot Search and Destroy - PC Pitstop Exterminate issue

Default Spybot Search and Destroy - PC Pitstop Exterminate issue

I have recently installed Spybot Search and Destroy on my PC, with the bug fixes for the startup lag. I also use PC Pitstop's Exterminate, which I believe is a licensed clone of Pest Patrol. The problem I am having is that after updating and immunizing my system, I am getting detections of Mirar, DialerHC, and ISTbar when scanning with Exterminate. If I remove these items and return to Spybot, I see items that are not protected so I immunize again. Scanning with Exterminate again detects these items. Exterminate does not detect them if I do not immunize with Spybot. Is Spybot installing mailicious items, or, are these possibly dummy files that are showing up as false positives with the PC Pitstop Exterminate program? I've tried researching various forums on the net hoping to find anyone with similar problems and a possible fix, if there is a legitimate problem. If they are false positives , then I can simply choose to not delete them with PC Pitstop Exterminate. Anyone have a clue as to what might be the deal here?..Thanks

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

The detections are most likely false positives because Exterminate is misinterpreting entries Spybot adds to the registry to prevent malware.

Does Exterminate provide a log of the actual item being detected rather than just the names Mirar, DialerHC, and ISTbar? If so please post the log.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Reply

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    The detections are most likely false positives because Exterminate is misinterpreting entries Spybot adds to the registry to prevent malware.

Does Exterminate provide a log of the actual item being detected rather than just the names Mirar, DialerHC, and ISTbar? If so please post the log.
    No. Exterminate does not include a detailed log of the items. Just the names and number of occurences found. I am, however, able to click on each name and I , then, am taken to a site with a description of each , which lists them as malicious. I honestly believe that these are files that Spybot has placed on my pc to protect against attacks with those descriptions because the only time I find them on my pc is after S&D's immunization is done.

I don't use pc pitstop exterminate,but I see online there might be a logfile located at C(or your main drive letter)->Program Files->PCPitstop->Exterminate->exterminate_log.txt.