Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Immunisazion not completing

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

adsums:

I'm sorry about the misinformation on checking permissions.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    I don't think you ought to delete your hosts file.Do you have a backup of it,if you have deleted it already?The entries you showed were unimmunized do not have to do with your hosts file.->
    I do have a backup of my HOSTS file and thanks for your concern. I tried to replace the file with an oldrr backed up version (rather than just deleting it) but it made no difference to my immunization completion problem. So your conclusion was absolutely correct!

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    adsums:

I'm sorry about the misinformation on checking permissions.
    That's fine - I actually learned a fair bit in the process about the important differences between regedit and regedt32.

Good,glad you had a backup.Hosts files aren't really that important anymore,but they're handy to have around to block sites and stuff.
    Unfortunately,I don't really have any ideas on why those things won't stay immunized for you other than what was posted before,but you could keep watching the forums and see what gets posted about it.md usa spybot fan is a good one to watch for posts on immunization problems,etc.,he's a whiz at it.He even used to keep track of the immunization counts.

Good,glad you had a backup.Hosts files aren't really that important anymore,but they're handy to have around to block sites and stuff.
    Unfortunately,I don't really have any ideas on why those things won't stay immunized for you other than what was posted before,but you could keep watching the forums and see what gets posted about it.md usa spybot fan is a good one to watch for posts on immunization problems,etc.,he's a whiz at it.He even used to keep track of the immunization counts.
    I will stay tuned for further developments.

Just curious about your remark about HOSTS files not being terribly important anymore etc.. Is that because of general advances in anti-spyware programs (like Spybot) or for other reasons?

I meant hosts files aren't used quite the same as they were used at one time,and if you had deleted yours,you would have been able to get by without it.There's a little history about it on wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file
    But,it's much better for you to have a hosts file,since it can be used to prevent your computer from connecting to malicious sites,etc,along with some other uses,which you can see listed here under the heading Why Would I Want To Use A Hosts file:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...utorial51.html

I meant hosts files aren't used quite the same as they were used at one time,and if you had deleted yours,you would have been able to get by without it.There's a little history about it on wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file
    But,it's much better for you to have a hosts file,since it can be used to prevent your computer from connecting to malicious sites,etc,along with some other uses,which you can see listed here under the heading Why Would I Want To Use A Hosts file:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...utorial51.html
    Thanks.

You're welcome.

Today I downloaded the latest available definition and other update files and tried to immunize (as I wanted to see if my problem had been solved). After immunizing I am still left with Unprotected entries as follows: Software (Cookies) 152; Software (Domains) 7368; Software (IP's) 77; and Software (Plugins) 895. Spybot says I have 38651 Protected items and 8492 Unprotected.

But then I noticed that each of the 4 categories seem to be duplicated in Spybot's Profile list (on the Immunize page) i.e. one listing for Software (Cookies) says 0 Unprotected and 152 Protected, while its duplicate says the opposite!! This is the case for each of the 4 named categories.

1. Perhaps my immunization problem is really no problem at all - maybe just double counting in the Profile list without any other important operational consequences?
    3. If so, is it possible to modify or edit the Profile list to eliminate the duplicate categories?