Thread: 2 strange things

Question 2 strange things

ok

1. sometimes upon shutting down, or restarting my computer, just as its logging out, i get a stange pop up window saying teatimer did not respond (somthing to do with teatimer anyway). the pop box has a button on it (which would usualy have 'OK' on it) but it doesnt?!
    i press the button and it ends the operation and the computer shuts down normal. why does this happen?

2. i was running an update in spybot, just befor doing a scan, when on the last update thing, a notification comes up saying 'somoneone has put a malicious code in the file (or somthing). wtf?! how can i get a virus or whatever by DLin an update for your program?

anyways those are my 2 query's, i would greatly appreciate some info on the 2 subjects.

thanx,

For question 2,please have a look here:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...malicious+code

ahhh, i think this explains number 2. however i don't have the beta version. so does this bug or error happen with the standard version during update?

also i did a full scan with AVG and AD-aware and they found nothing strange.

Yes,I'm pretty sure that happened with the standard Spybot 1.5,too,and was removed later,from the gist of what I'm seeing in this post:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...Malicious+Code

Your question 1 seems like a similar problem I've seen,but I don't think I'll be able to find the info on it,because I think it was posted on the old spybot forum,and I haven't found anything on this one yet.Would you happen to be running windows 98?

nop xp.

oh and i only just installed SB a few days ago and this update message occurred yesterday, so i guess i have the newest version.

btw, its great to have a response to questions so rapidly, you guys are doing a great job!
    Last edited by ihab1000; 2007-10-25 at 05:05. Reason: chicken

Okay,the issue I remember,I think had something to do,when all was said and done,with windows 98.And that was several Spybot versions ago,but I can't remember if it was resolved.
    Searching the forums for "Teatimer did not respond" didn't turn up anything.Next time you get the popup box,if you could post the message,if it is different from that,then I could see if anything turns up in a search,if anyone has posted a similar problem.

ok sure thing, thanx.

oh btw, whats your position on having 2 antivirus programs installed?

ive had AVG for a while and recently installed AVAST, as everyone was recommending it over AVG. the 2 programs cooperate together fine but ive heard having 2 AVs is overkill, should i uninstall AVG?

also what happens when you uninstall an AV when it has some infected files in the vault?

It's not really a good idea to have two antiviruses with realtime protection scanning in the background,since they can conflict with each other,and can sometimes really slow down people's computers.
    Also,there's always the chance one could detect a virus that is already in the other antiviruses virus vault/quarantine folder.
    Some people disable the realtime scanning on one antivirus while leaving the other enabled,so they can just do a manual scan once in awhile with the one antivirus,so that they have a backup antivirus in case something goes wrong with the other one,or so they can see if one antivirus will pick up on something the other one doesn't,and that is okay.But,I've always felt most folks are better off with just one antivirus regardless,much less hassles and headaches.There's a little more about why it's not a good idea to run two antiviruses written in blue here:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=279

I think that most antiviruses ask you if you want to remove or keep quarantined files in the virus vault when you are uninstalling the antivirus.

ahh this helps, thanx

You're welcome.