Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shelf Life, from maxh1985

Hi

In my device manager under Sound, Video and Games controllers there is defintely notihng about Realtek at all, all it lists is Audio Codecs
    Legacy Audio Drivers
    Legacy Video Capture Devices
    Media Control Devices
    Video Codecs

When i go into the properties for the audio codecs, it veru annoyinglysais 'this device is working properly'
    There is also a list in the properties tab entitled Audio Compression Codecs. Theres quite a big list of various things such as DivX ;-] Audio Compressor, IMA ADPCM Audio Codec, from what i can see there is no mention of realtek or ALC655 in here. Dont suppose this gives you any more clues?

Nothing coming up on the Hardware installer, it just comes up with everything it thinks is currectly installed which is just the same list given in the device manager:

Audio Codecs
    Legacy Audio Drivers
    Legacy Video Capture Devices
    Media Control Devices
    Video Codecs

Went into the BIOS again and cant find anything like you mention there, the only option to do with Audio is in the Intergrated Periperals which gives you the option of either PCI bus or EDB bus, most things in the list are now set to EDB bus. Had a look around all the other options in this mode and couldnt find any more relevant options, there was an On board Super IO section, which i thought might mean on board the mother board like my sound chip is. Couldnt see anything there myself, but im probably wrong.

The quest continues!
    Many thanks
    Max

Emeritus

hi,

you should see RealTek AC'97 Audio listed in device manager.
    in device manager, under the view menu select "show hidden devices" and see if anything new shows up. if it dosnt-- iam running out of things to try. pci sound cards are very inexpensive.
    try installing the download again you got off the realtek website.

shelf life
    How Can I Reduce My Risk?

Default Realtek

Have re-intalled and still no luck, its so wierd. Im looking at the RealTek AC'97 folder in my programme files folder right now. But its just not being picked up anywhere else on my computer. Have found one other new thing on my device manager when i click on view hidden devices:
    Microsoft Kernal System Audio Device. When you go into it there is a driver tab with various buttons to click on such as Driver details

(sais, C:\Windows\system32\drivers\sysaudio.sys)

Update driver and stuff like that. Clicked on update driver but that just asks for the CD agaon which we've already tried. Wondering if you had any thoughts?

Many thanks
    Max

Surely in that driver details it should really say something like C:\programmefiles.realtekac97 ? Looks like it might be setup to the wrong driver file

Emeritus

hi,

RealTek AC'97 folder in my programme files folder right now
    it installs software and a driver. maybe your onboard sound is shot? you see any other things in device manager that might be flagged with a exclamation mark?

Default Device manager

I have just looked in my device manager again and have found some of the yellow exclamation marks, when i go to view hidden devices. The exclamation marks are on the non plug and play drivers list. The following things have the exclamation marks by them:

HTTP
    mchInjDrv
    SIAODFLO

Just out of curiosity, if i were to get hold of a new sound card, would i definately be able to just install it straight into my computer and use it even though my current one is built into the motherboard?

Many Thanks
    Max

Emeritus

hi,

i have no idea what those three items are but i doubt they are related to the sound problem. the realtek site is pretty worthless for FAQ/troubleshooting. to your question: yes it shouldnt be a problem. you would have to have a open PCI slot for the card to go in. newegg has afew for about 10.00 dollars.

shelf life

Default Sound Card

Hi Shelf Life,

I finally have sound on my computer and i am in music heaven! I ended up buying a new sound card for £7! Had no idea it would be so cheap!
    Looks like we'll never know what the problem was with that realtek sound card, very strange, but oh well thats technology for you i suppose!

Just wanted to thank you for all of your help, you've been absolutely brilliant. I just love the way spybot is fighting against all of these cowardly scumbags who make people's lives a misery with malware and viruses. Keep fighting the good fight, your good people!

Thanks a million once agian!
    All the best
    Max

Emeritus

hi maxh1985,

Sound at last. great. thank you, glad to help.

happy safe surfing out there!

shelf life