Thread: BeWare of Auto Updating Latest Defs 2006-01-20 from Safe Networking #1 (Europe)

Default Spybot immunization & MS AntiSpyware "Trusted Sites" alerts

Fired up Spybot SD, did a search for updates...Hey!! updates where available..So naturally I downloaded them. (believe it was from Safer Networking #1 in Europe...nexted I did immunize..My MS Anti Spyware alerts me of adservs.com trying to insert itself in 'Trusted Sites' Zone... WHAT IS THIS!! I thought. I am not knocking SBSD...but I thought that was way weird. That was on my 64 bit os. Physically downloaded update via web for 32 bit..installed...while writing this To get me Terms right I opened SpyBot (on 32) Did update check..hmm says there is an update,,should not be..i just did..ok lets experiment..Download..immunize...Ms Anti Spyware Alerts "A New Internet Explore Trusted Site requires your approval" Trusted Site:adservs.com...I don't think so..As I sat here typing this I had just recreated the the 'experience again'
    Last edited by Shawn; 2006-01-28 at 14:10. Reason: Title not good after investigating feedback

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

The report from Microsoft AntiSpyware is a false positive.

Please see this article from Microsoft about similar problems:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;902956

Spybot is adding The following entries to the restricted zone (dots changed to underscores to pervent a link from being created):
    • csx_adservs_com
    • www_csx_adservs_com

Using the following registry entries:

Code:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\adservs.com]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\adservs.com\csx]
    "*"=dword:00000004

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\adservs.com\www.csx]
    "*"=dword:00000004
    Microsoft AntiSpyware is evidently misinterpreting those entries as a threat.

Possible residual problem: If you deny the registry change in Microsoft AntiSpyware, Microsoft AntiSpyware may have remembered that denial and prevent you from adding those entry without allowing to select an option. To overcome this:
    • Go into Microsoft AntiSpyware > click on the stared item "Real-time Protection" in the left pane > then click "Application Agents" > page down (center pane) until you find "Internet Explorer Trusted Sites" and highlight it > in the right pane click "Manage Allowed/blocked…" > inspect both the Allowed and Blocked entries and delete any references to adservs.com. Then after backing out of and exiting Microsoft AntiSpyware, reimmunize in Spybot.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2006-01-27 at 23:20.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Lol,never mind.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Zenobia:

Never mind what?

You provided another reference:
    http://www.spybot.info/en/faq/45.html

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Sure,sure,Speedy González. :D