Thread: Ie7

Default Ie7

I ran SPybot and now my home page will not load. I can go to msn and go to links from there but my home page does nothig. First time user for this program. Please help!!!

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

kcbee58:

What version of Spybot are you running (Spybot > Help > About) and what is your home page?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Ie7

I am running ver. 1.5.1.15. Home page is Excite.com

kcbee58:

Access to excite.com is blocked by Spybot's Resident "SDHelper" as a Blacklisted URL.

To stop "SDHelper" from blocking this URL, go into Internet Explorer > Tools > select "Spybot – Search Destroy Configuration" > then in the "Spybot-S&D - Configuration" window in the "Settings" tab under "When encountering bad things" there are three options:
    options:
    • Block all pages silently
    • Display dialog when blocking
    • Ask for blocking confirmation
    Select "Ask for blocking confirmation" and click "OK".

When you encounter a URL that would ordinarily just be blocked in "Block all pages silently" mode, Spybot will issue a "Spybot-S&D Bad URL Blocker" dialog. The dialog allows you to either "Allow" or "Deny" the access and also to select among the following options:
    • Ask me again next time
    • Remember for this session
    • Always react this way

Select "Always react this way" and then "Allow" the access.

You will most likely get several "Spybot-S&D Bad URL Blocker" dialogs trying to access excite.com. Handle each as described above.

Additional note: Spybot's immunization process adds excite.com to the registry to stop the storing of cookies from excite.com. If you encounter any problems related to blocked cookies from excite.com:
    • Go into Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet options > Privacy tab.
    • Then in the "Settings" section click the "Sites" button.
    • In the "Per Site Privacy Actions" dialog section near the bottom titled "Managed websites", scroll down to "excite.com" you will see that it says "Always Block".
    • Highlight the entry by clicking on it and then click the "Remove" button.
    • Back out of the dialogs by clicking "OK" followed by "OK".

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Ie7

That worked, thank you so much. I understand spybot a little better now too.

kcbee58:

Now that your immediate problem is fixed, I strongly suggest that you read Excite's privacy policy and evaluate if you really should continue using excite.com:

Information we may collect (Read more)

We may collect information that can identify you ("personal information"), such as your name and email address, (i) when you (or other users) provide it to us when using our website or in some other manner, or (ii) from other IAC businesses, from our business partners, and from other third parties. We may combine the personal information that we receive from different sources.

As well as the "(Read more)" reference in that article: "Information we may collect (Read more)":

• Information about others. We may also collect and store personal information about other people that you provide to us. If you use our referral service to tell others (friends, relatives, colleagues, etc.) about the Excite Site, we will ask you for such person's name and email address and will automatically send such person a one-time email inviting him or her to visit the Excite Site. Excite stores the personal information of each such recipient for the sole purpose of sending this one-time email and tracking the success of our referral program. The recipient may request that we remove this information from our database by contacting us at the contact details at the end of this Privacy Policy.

There is a real privacy concern with excite.com and that is reason the Spybot blocks access to URLs for excite.com.