Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ignore or fix red detections?

Thanks, Doctor. All I meant by usage tracks was that I had a ton of "green" results in addition to red ones. The red ones had to do with Windows Security or something, probably was me turning McAfee on and off. I probably can't tell it to ignore that in case a virus manages to do the same thing....

The green detections were a ton of things, almost every piece of software on my computer seemed to be included in some way. I did tell spybot to fix everything and at present that seems to have not hurt.

My computer has been running sort of slow at times. I tried to uncheck some of the things that load up when windows starts using MSCONFIG. I am in a Selective Startup all the time. I hope there's nothing wrong with that. One woman from AOL mistakenly told me I'm supposed to ordinarily be in NORMAL startup and when I did that I had all sorts of extra things starting that I didn't want.

I also hate how McAfee constantly reminds me to check for a new update, which to me means it's working in the background more than I want it to, maybe serving as spyware. I can't get it to stop completely even temporarily unless I were to completely uninstall it. Years ago antivirus could be turned off by rightclicking an icon. Not with McAfee at the moment; it only partially turns off. And I don't know if AVG would be any better about allowing me to turn it off if I want it off sometimes.

As for Logs, all i know is I had a bunch of green entries and I copied and pasted here the full report not realizing they'd show any "log" entries. I hope logs don't do anything useful. I'll check into the software you've mentioned. I'd like to have a lot less extra stuff being stored on my computer, a lot fewer processes running without my being aware, and a lot more control over what is going on but without making it hard to use the computer.

I also run into a lot of trouble phishing attempts at Myspace while maintaining a band page. Sometimes these are messages that display ad jpgs with embedded links that might be trying to attack my computer. One time I mistakenly clicked one of those (it was a counterfeit of a reply button) without remembering I'd temporarily turned off my antivirus, although I MAY have had teatimer on and certainly had NoScript running. Then I ran Mcafee and found nothing. After that I ran spybot and wrote you folks.

I guess I was lucky this time as far as that link putting a virus on my computer because hopefully Mcafee or spybot would have located it. I also have mcafee firewall. Am thinking of switching to AVG antivirus if it will allow me to turn it completely off without popups when I occasionally want that.
    Last edited by antenner; 2007-11-11 at 19:51.