Thread: Download Detection Rules

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

wildteen88:

You should not be downloading and extracting the file intended for the mechanized update as you indicate you are doing!!!

If you are unable to get the updates using the integrated update facility, you can manually download and execute an update file from safer-networking.org:
    • Detection updates 2006-02-10 - product description
      md5: 47117FA783056916AFF82BDD0B2AB699

This updates the detection rules. Only needed if you do not want to use the update function integrated into Spybot-S&D.

This manual update file is updated around the same time that the updates are made available via the integrated update facility. The description changes on the download page but the download url remains constant.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan
    wildteen88:

You should not be downloading and extracting the file intended for the mechanized update as you indicate you are doing!!!

If you are unable to get the updates using the integrated update facility, you can manually download and execute an update file from safer-networking.org:
    • Detection updates 2006-02-10 - product description
      md5: 47117FA783056916AFF82BDD0B2AB699

This updates the detection rules. Only needed if you do not want to use the update function integrated into Spybot-S&D.

This manual update file is updated around the same time that the updates are made available via the integrated update facility. The description changes on the download page but the download url remains constant.
    Oh I didn't realise there was another way of updating Spybot S&D, however manual install and the other type of installation of updates are basically the same. I cant see why I cant do manual install as it worked!

Esteemed Member

Quote Originally Posted by wildteen88
    Oh I didn't realise there was another way of updating Spybot S&D, however manual install and the other type of installation of updates are basically the same. I cant see why I cant do manual install as it worked!
    What you've done is unsupported and incorrect.
    Now go to the update window and right click in the detection rules file select Add to Exlude List. When you goto update Spybot again this update shouldn't appear.
    By doing this. you've effectively disabled your ability to see these updates in the future. The items are displayed or supressed based on text matches, so until the text changes they won't display.

The manual Detection updates suggested by md usa spybot fan are the supported and simplest method to perform a manual update, so there's no reason to do it with a method that's more difficult and error prone.

You do whatever you like, everyone here recommends downloading the official manual update file. The md5 checksum for the file is displayed on the download page to verify the file is valid.