Thread: Update Spybot without internet connection

Default Update Spybot without internet connection

A tale of 2 computers .....
    I knew I had some kind of a bot on my Win 98 computer long before I could find any information about bots on the internet. Bluntly the computer will connect to the internet by itself, and the only way to keep it from connecting is to disconnect the modem from the phone line. Since then while the computer has been disconnected for more than a year and even now it tries to get me to publish my files on the web, with icons to do so appearing on the desktop at startup ect.
    Since then I got a refurbished Win 2000 NT pro ( and love it). With it came Spybot S&D and I have been running it for some time. I decided to try to get a copy of Spybot on the other machine to take care of the bot. I burned the files to a CD ( Entire folder with updates) and ran the install on the Win 98. It runs - but it does not recognize the updated files - only the basic install. I know this because 8000 some items are blocked on the Win 98 ( new install) and I have like 16000 on the updated Win 2000. How can I get the updated files onto the Win 98 without connecting to the internet?? I tried uninstalling my previous attempt on the Win 98 and copying the files from the CD - it did a file to file copy but no help. I don't want to junk the Win 98 since I still need that computer to run my scanner and old programs that I still use. Once I get it cleaned up I want to take it off line permanently. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hello,

Please download the installation and the update file on another computer, copy these to a CD or USB stick and then install and run it on the infected computer:
    Installation file: http://www.spybotupdates.com/files/spybotsd15.exe
    Update file (run it after the installation): http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates...d_includes.exe

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Unhappy

Thanks for your prompt reply Sandra Ive been fiddling with the install for a while - and after I finally got it installed I had a hard time getting the update file to install.I had to uninstall and reinstall several times. Now it appears to be running but it only scans for one second and says "No threats". I think this bot is smart.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > File Sets. Make sure that everything is checked except the Usage Tracking items at the bottom of the list.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Already was.
    Integrated search for spybots = 29 Checks

Revision ( Stuff Removed) = 2 checks

That's the only other listings except usage tracking - which I tried earlier and just came up with 1 log file that appears every time I search, even after I delete it.

I tried reinstalling the includes.exe file and making sure it got into the spybot update folder - no change.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

If you are updating correctly the File Sets should look something like this:
    ■ Spybot - Search & Destroy
    … ■ Cookies.sbi
    … ■ Dialer.sbi
    … ■ DialerC.sbi
    … ■ Hijackers.sbi
    … ■ HijackersC.sbi
    … ■ Keyloggers.sbi
    … ■ KeyloggersC.sbi
    … ■ Malware.sbi
    … ■ MalwareC.sbi
    … ■ PUPS.sbi
    … ■ PUPSC.sbi
    … ■ Revision.sbi
    … ■ Security.sbi
    … ■ SecuntyC.sbi
    … ■ Spybots.sbi
    … ■ SpybotsC.sbi
    … ■ Troians.sbi
    … ■ TroiansC.sbi
    □ Usage Tracking
    … □ Tracks.uti

After the 2007-11-07 updates the yyyyy value in the the status bar in the lower left hand corner of the screen (Running bot-check(xxxxx/yyyyy:zzzzzz))during the running of a Spybot scan ("Check for problems") should be 99080.

Try updating again.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Now I can't even get the program to start. Gonna try uninstalling again and reinstalling. What folder should the update ( includes.exe) be directed to? Obviously the computer does not know and keeps trying to make it a folder on the desktop. Earlier I tried dragging the folder to the program icon - no help. Before I tried installing the includes.exe into the includes folder - no help. It's freezing up and when I reboot the "Publish your files on the web" pop ups seem more persistent. I'll be here...

ok I got the program reinstalled. I tried multiple times to install the includes.exe file. It wanted to create a folder on the desktop by default - so I let it, it was not helping me anyway. I tried putting it in the includes folder again ( the files found under program files / spybot) and I tried putting it in the updates folder again. Both times when I went to run the scan it said that I had to update the program first before I could scan. The only way I got it to scan is to install the includes.exe in the main spybot folder under program files. Then it would scan for like 1 second, and I believe that the the number you were asking about was 31 or something like that - it flashed very fast across the screen. I checked the file sets again and it said the same. So I'm wondering if I got a complete manual update at this point. I'll keep trying.

Lightbulb

Yipeeee! Well I'm not sure what I did but I'm up and running! I downloaded the file again and burned it on the cd again. No change, so I decided to look at the file structure on my win 2000 where spybot runs. I found the updates folder and copied the zip files to the cd as well. After unzipping a few of the files from the updates folder I ran a scan to see if it works - and now it's running with 99080 files to check for. I hope it finds something. Thanks for your support - and I'm going to ask Santa for a Spybot Tee shirt for Christmas