Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: spybot and firefox not playing well

Exclamation but i still do not understand why my firefox freezes and everything?

Suggestions? does firefox need to fix this issue or does spybot? i don't understand why firefox freezes as i have stated above. Also, how would i keep that huge list out of firefox for asking for add ons-meaning since firefox asks for sites anyways (to add add ons i mean), how do i keep it so that when i immunize firefox it doesn't put all those sites in the list and freeze it? but have it protect firefox with all the other ways? thanks. I want spybot to protect firefox, but not freeze it lol. any suggestions? or did i already miss the solution? I don't use SpywareBlaster, and i haven't checked to see if the cookies box freezes when i try to open it. So should I not let spybot block (immunize) add ons? would that fix my freezing box problem? Also, can you provide directions so that i can stop spybot from immunizing certain features like that?
    thanks

Question

Wow . . . I was about to install version 1.5 and then I read this thread.

Uh . . . perhaps I should wait before I install 1.5?

Is there a FAQ >>specific to FIREFOX somewhere?

MC

Arrow so.....

how do i keep spybot from immunizing installations in firefox?

Default You probably need to disable DNS Client Services

Hi big number,

No one has yet suggested to you what was suggested to me when I made a similar observation.

After immunisation you have a very large hosts file. This causes some Windows OSes to lock up (like you are seeing).

It isn't the program you think (Firefox) that is locking up. If you use Task Manager you will see that services.exe is hogging the CPU.

This, apparently, is a well know problem on this forum. Search for 'large hosts file' and you will find more information. You will be told to disable the DNS client service.

Is this your problem ? Try this. Immunise Firefox and don't immunise hosts. If performance is good then you have the large hosts file problem and need to disable DNS Client Services or host immunisation. Take your pick.

I agree with Pepi. Firefox is (most probably) not designed to handle very large hostperm.1 files. It is (most probably) designed to work with short white lists rather than long black lists. SpyBot uses a long black list approach. The two approaches are different, which, if either, is better depends on what are trying to do.

Also, I agree with Pepi that SpyBot is restricted because it can only change the way Firefox behaves through the files that Firefox uses. Firefox extensions change the way Firefox behaves through adding functionality, which is, inherently, much more powerful.

If Firefox is a superior browser it is not because it has nicer buttons. It is because it has a concept that allows folks to extend it do what they need it to do rather than what some marketing manager has decided to limit them to do.

The (poor) analogy a Swiss Army knife.

I love my Swiss Army knife because I can do most jobs with it and I can (usually) find it. I know I probably own a tool that will do a better job but I can't remember where I left it.

Use SpyBot to protect Firefox if you want but don't blame the tool if it doesn't live up to expectations.

Use Firefox extensions and its like being able choose exactly which blades go into your own Swiss Army knife.

I know, decisions ... decisions ... no one ever said freedom wasn't scary.

Talking thanx alot for the responce!

that was very helpful!! thanks!