Thread: HOSTS file available seperately

Default HOSTS file available seperately

Would it be possible to have the HOSTS file entries as a seperate download? e.g. http://www.spybot.info/en/download/HOSTS.zip This would make things easier for people like myself who use multiple HOSTS files via a HOSTS manager, as I could just add this address to the HOSTS manager rather than they way I do it now. At the minute I use my HOSTS manager to update the offer 5 HOSTS files I uses and then have to launch Spybot & re-immunize to add the 4000 or so entries not in the other HOSTS files.
    What if love's intolerable pain never leaves us?
    Do we dash our bleeding hearts on the rocks of loneliness?
    And cry unto the lords above who turn away in haste?
    MY DYING BRIDE

I think someone recently asked as well, and we were kind of unsure because some of the first entries we used ever were coming from another list - we were granted the right to use them in Spybot-S&D, but we never talked about re-granting those rights to others, and that person who created the first list is no longer reachable.

To get a "clean" solution, I guess we would have to take the hosts file as it is now, substract those entries from the very first list, then re-add from it what has been gathered from our own research or other sources which would allow us to spread it stand-alone, and see how large the difference would be.

Another issue would be the last topic in this new feature request I just added: if we decide to revert entries for no longer active sites, to speed up systems, a separate application-readable hosts file would make it much easier for malware authors to monitor the domains we would withdraw from the list.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)