Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shelf Life, from maxh1985

Default Shelf Life, from maxh1985

Hi Shelf Life,
    You were helping me out a short while ago with my Malware and sound card problems. Firstly i would like to thank you for how amazingly helpful youve been. There is now literaly no more symptoms of any Malware which has made my life so much easier! I am sending you this message because for some reason it wont let me reply to you on the thread we had going. Just to recap, the last message you sent me was: hi maxh1985,

you reinstalled the software for your sound card, what about the drivers for it/ after thinking about it saying if the ports go left to right that menas its a pci card may not be true. a smaller footprint case could show this and have on board drivers. the first thing is to determine if you have a onboard built in to board chip. one way other than software is to vist the computers manuf. website and look based on your make/model. no makes or names under the device manager, right click>properties.
    you might also get some info from running dxdiag

start>run>type in the window dxdiag check the tabs across the top.

shelf life

When i type in dxdiag in the run window, the sound tab sais that there is absolutely nothing on my computer in terms of sound, so thats not very helpful! I have looked into the kind of sound card and it looks asthough my sound jacks are built in to and are the same part of my mother board. Hope thats helpful!

Thank you for your time
    Max

Emeritus

hi maxh1985,

for some reason the original thread was in the archives??whats the make/model of your computer? sometimes info can be gathered from the website.

shelf life
    How Can I Reduce My Risk?

Default Computer make

Hi Shelflife,
    To be honest my computer doesnt really have a make and a model, it was one of these wierd companies that kind of build one up for you out of loads of random parts, its called novatech,

The only thing i can find that might be useful is the make/model of the motherboard which came with the computers documents, its called a:

WinFast K7S741MG/K7S741GXMG

Theres doesnt seem to be any specific info on the audio device that is installed within it, but its definately built into the motherboard, one thing it does mention though is that "it is equipped with the Realtek ALC655 chip, which provides support for 6 channel audio output"

If you go to

http://www.pczonecomputers.com/k7s741mg.pdf

this will show you a copy of the manual i have, this is about as much as i can find out about what i have.
    Hope this is helpful!

Max

Emeritus

hi,

ok thats a start. do you know how to boot into the BIOS to make sure the onboard sound is enabled. for most computers it a certain key like f2 or delete. sometimes during a regular startup it might be displayed as:
    "press xyz to enter setup"

EDIT: its delete for yours, see page 9 of the manual

look under intergrated peripherals for onboard REALTEK audio or something, make sure its enabled. F10 to save and exit (even though you didnt really make any changes)
    if it is enabled then you should try reloading the REALTEK audio drivers off the cd. if you dont have the cd they can be downloaded off the realtek website.

shelf life

Default Still no luck

Ok im starting to get really worried about this now!
    Right i went into the setup mode after pressing delete, when i went into intergrated peripherals, the only part i could find that was to do with the sound said:

Audio - access interface,

There was no enable/disable option. The only option that was given here was to choose between EDB bus or PCI bus. Tried restarting in both these settings and re-installed the driver both times. (i have got the driver on the CD that came with the computer)

The strange thing is now when i re-install the drivers it has now given this wierd little programme that gives the sound control options etc, and it is something to do with Realtek. But the wierd thing is, when the sound on my computer was working for ages in the past, i had never seen this thing let alone used it for my sound, its called AvRack. It hasnt changed anything, everything is still dead and greyed out when you look at the audio devices on the control panel, saying that i dont have an audio device.

I also tried the dxdiag check and it comes up with an error message saying it couldnt gather the information, the window does come up but there is no info filled in when you try to look at all the sound properties.

Do you think its just a case of finding the right driver for my computer? At one point when i was installing the drivers it said that it wasnt compatible with my windows, although it did only do this once out of the two times i was re-installing.

As a matter of fact im not even sure if im re-installing properly, as i cant find a way to remove whatever sound drivers it has already, just assuming its writing over the top of whatevers there.

Im very lost!

Hope that all makes sense
    Thanks a million
    Max

Default Malware

One last thing,
    This did all start happening when i first started getting Malware problems, so dont know if this sound issue is linked to that at all?

Emeritus

hi maxh1985,

i have seen that Avrack icon also.its part of the package. you see anything listed in device manager now? click on the sound.. in the list and right click and select "scan for changes". anything new showing up?

hard to tell if its malware related. possible, malware is getting more and more invasive and ending up all over the place on computers, it may not be the best coded stuff either.

shelf life

No theres still nothing coming up, nothing is changing at all when i install the new driver, its still exactly as it was before, on the device manager list:'Sound, video and game controllers'
    its lists:

Audio Codecs
    Legacy Audio Drivers
    Legacy Video Capture Devices
    Media Control Devices
    Video Codecs

and when you do into each different device it very annoyingly says 'this device is working properly. There is no sign of the Avrack thing anywhere. This is getting very strange!

Thanks Shelf life
    Max

Default Also

Just tried something else aswell that just doesnt make sense either, on the device manager, when you click on the audio device it gives you an icon at the top that gives you the option to update the driver automaticaly through a wizard. It asks for the CD, it searches for ages then all it comes up with is: Cannot continue the update wizard, the wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you already have installed

The software i already have installed doesnt work!!!!

So fustrating!

Emeritus

hi,

lets grab the ones from realtek. first look in add/remove programs panel and uninstall realtek if listed, or remove via device manager. reboot once then get this:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false