Thread: SPYBOT is taking FOREVER to load (ver. 1.5.1.15 . . . & COMODO Free Personl Firewall)

Cool SPYBOT is taking FOREVER to load (ver. 1.5.1.15 . . . & COMODO Free Personl Firewall)

First, a disclaimer: I've never used any firewall product before. My intention is to spend some serious book time studying firewalls in depth — but for the immediate moment I just want to verify that there is not a conflict with SPYBOT and COMODO.

When I couldn't get SPYBOT to open whatsoever or at all, I added the following program to the "Trusted Applications" section of COMODO:
    SpybotSD.exe

I didn't place this in the "Parent Application" form field because (again) I'm new to this and I don't want to open my computer up until I really understand how this works.

I did a few housekeeping chores in SPYBOT:
    Deleted some resource-hogging StartUp processes (Creative Labs, Acronis, Roxio crap, etc.)
    Locked my IEx (ver 6) Start Page
    Locked the Hosts File
    Added the Spybot Hosts File
    Set up my Spybot Preferences
    Updated Spybot (again)
    Scanned the computer
    Immunized

. . . and afterwards set "DNS Client" in (Windows 2000) Services to MANUAL.

My suspicion is that I have to set up COMODO a particular way . . . but I'm uncertain which of SPYBOT's executables are safe to allow — or, indeed, which form fields in COMODO they should populate (Parent? Standalone?). I certainly encountered a ration of grief just getting Spybot 1.5 installed in the first place! It was all I could do just to update it lol.

And if this isn't the right place to put this post, feel free to move it. I didn't see a forum for asking about SPYBOT General questions. Thanks everyone!

MISS CHIEVOUS

Lightbulb There is a bug in the spybot program

that causes this slow startup of spybot when u open the program. it has nothing to do with u firewall software, its not any software conflict, its just a bug in the spybot program.
    i would direct you to the fix for the problem, but its in beta form and i do not recommend beta's to ppl without deep knowledge of computers. Also, before posting, please search for your problem, this issue has been addressed several times in the forums. You can find the beta fix in one of the other forums that addressed this issue if you want. According to ppl it works fine, however i have not yet tested it yet. hope that helps! basically I recommend to just deal with the slow startup,(until the fix is out of beta form that is) I have dealt with it.

129260 . . . Thank you so much!

Believe me, I always search extensively before I post (and read the FAQ to see if the problem shows up). The problem with something as ubiquitous as a word such as "slow" or "load" is that it pulls up gazillion instances.

If I may make a suggestion, this issue should be predominantly positioned — not even in the FAQ, but as a forum header somewhere so that everyone can see it.

I'm relieved! Thanks honey.

MC

Arrow ur welcome :)

ur welcome and I'm glad 2 hear that u search first. thanx.