Thread: Spyware removal

Default Spyware removal

After running Spybot, one of the results was the following:

Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.AntivirusOverride and the specifics are:

(SBI $3604910C) Settings
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntivirusOverride.
    Registry Change

Is it safe to remove this and any other changes that Spybot finds or will it
    damage the registry?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Code:
    Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.AntiVirusOverride: [SBI $3604910C] Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusOverride
    I suggest that you go into Start > Control Panel > Security Center > look at the right hand side of the window and check the settings under "Virus Protection" (expanding if necessary). I believe that you have overridden the protections and that you will find a button labeled "Recommendations". If you click on the "Recommendations" button I believe that you will get a window that indicates something like:
    • I have an antivirus program that I'll monitor myself.

Note: With that setting Windows won't monitor your virus protection status and won't send you alerts if it is off or out of date.

What AntiVirus are you running? Both Norton and McAfee override this Windows Security Center setting if you elect them as your default Security Center when installing.

Normally you should "fix" that problem.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thanks.

I am running Norton Corporate Edition as this is at work. I do, however have the same issue at home where I am running Norton 2006.

If I change the settings in the Security Center, will it complicate things & give me conflicting messages all the time and will anything happen if I do "fix" the problem through Spybot. or should I just set it to ignore these issues in future scans?
    Last edited by Dstar; 2007-12-18 at 20:21.