Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spybot 1.5 is pony

Default Spybot 1.5 is pony

I'm sorry but v1.5 is just rubbish in my experience. Yes maybe it immunizes agains double the amount of things but it completely messed up my system.

You all know the problemswith the slow loading times so I won't go into that. Also it just wouldn't enable all the protection there was always a few hundred unprotected items with no way of making them protected, sometimes this number got smaller after doing updates but never disappeared.

I've installed 3 versions with the patch and the beta reccommended by the developers, yers the beta cleared up the slowness but f'd up my system in other ways. For instance I had graphics problems with games and other games audio went out of sync after installing it! This is certainley the fault of spybot v1.5 since after removing and cleaning it up each time the sound and video problems disappeared! My system is kept very hygenic so I would know if it's something else.

Now that I've gone back to v1.4 those problems have gone, I'm sure you understand that this can't be a coincidence considering they were gone each time I removed the various versions of v1.5 as well.

I always considered it such a stable program, oh well, might have to give up on spybot now, that's a shame.

Default Spybot 1.4 is Pony

Now I don't use TeaTimer, so I can't comment on startup times.
    While I haven't had any problems with items being left unprotected by the immunizer, I believe this was fixed in an update, and certainly no graphics or sound problems.
    But overall, someone who's willing to disown a product based on a beta seems a bit odd. Perhaps you don't understand the concept?
    Last edited by criztopha; 2008-01-13 at 08:19.

Perhaps you can't read?

I've installed 3 versions with the patch and the beta reccommended by the developers, yes the beta cleared up the slowness but f'd up my system in other ways.
    Now that I've gone back to v1.4 those problems have gone, I'm sure you understand that this can't be a coincidence considering they were gone each time I removed the various versions of v1.5 as well.
    You assume I use tea timer? I have never and would never install that. The slow startup times remain, anyway the startup times are not my main gripe. The fact is v1.5 unpatched, patched, beta versions, is too buggy. Shouldn't have been released (I don't just say this only due to my own experiences, just take a look around the forums).

I would like further comments if possible on the video and audio problems I experienced, I can test this further.

Malware Team-Emeritus

Beta means a program is still not stable, that's why it's beta. It also means use at your own risk.

If you experience problems, uninstall it. It should resolve your problems.

Try the RC release. RC release is much more stable than beta and is the last step before the actual release.

Here's the RC release download - http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=22299
    扎西德勒 微笑中有阳光 不放弃的人都拥有希望

Please do not message me for help. Create a new topic in the Malware Removal room instead.

Can everybody please stop telling me what a beta is now, thanks.

Let me reiterate. I installed the final (1.5.1.15), it was messed up. I installed the patches, still messed up. I installed the beta after that, still messed up.

The sound and graphics issues I reported were present with all 1.5.x versions and disappeared each and every time once I uninstalled and ran reg cleaner, a coincidence?

The version you just pointed me at is much the same as 1.5.1.15 is it not? Anyway, read the thread, people are having problems with it.

No 1.5.x for me at this time anyway thanks.

There's been nothing but good reports for the newest RC. No more slow startup, complete immunization, and no significant errors. I would also advise you download that one. As for the graphic/auditory issues, nothing else has been reported that I've noticed.

Malware Team-Emeritus

You could help by telling us what sound and graphics card you are using.
    扎西德勒 微笑中有阳光 不放弃的人都拥有希望

Please do not message me for help. Create a new topic in the Malware Removal room instead.

Default Hello

I use the latest 1.5.1.15 few months and I have to say that 1.5.x is much more slower than 1.4.x.

There is very slow loading and updated installing.
    Although 1.5. is better I was more satisfied with 1.4.

Hello,

The scanning time has increased because the spyware sector is growing that fast. We have to add new detection rules every week and there is more and more stuff to search for.
    But compared to most anti-virus-solutions Spybot does not scan that long. It does not scan the complete harddisk for suspicious entries and files. Spybot-S&D takes advantage of the fact that all spies have to anchor themselves at a few places over the system to get active. It starts to search at these places, following the information gathered there to catch the whole spy. But the more malware have different techniques the more complex is the search. And compared to anti-virus-solutions Spybot-S&D has also to take a look at the registry. The complexest scan increasing time refers to the advcheck.dll, which contains nearly everything for proving file contents.

But nevertheless we will try to improve the scan time. There will be a new algorithm soon which should also speed up the scan a little.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Axel, at the time of posting, 2.1.15 was not the latest.
    You can download the newer version, with some of the issues you mentioned fixed, here: http://www.spybotupdates.com/files/spybotsd152rc1.exe