Thread: Spybot won't start - get Runtime error 216 at 00404A12

Default Spybot won't start - get Runtime error 216 at 00404A12

All of a sudden, trusty old Spybot S&D won't start today. Instead I get "Runtime Error 216 at 00404A12", a few times. Google research indicates this might be a virus, but I'm fairly well protected by Avast AV. I had just downloaded an Add-On for Firefox (since uninstalled) and added this computer to my LogMeIn computer list, so maybe something knocked out a Spybot S&D registry entry or something similar.

Running two slow anti-virus scans now and shall see. Will probably show zero problems. Any ideas before I re-boot in a few hours and run the risk of a dead machine?

(I've already made a move to uninstall Spybot S&D 1.5.1.16 and will re-install the new version 1.5.1.19 after I finally reboot.)

Thanks to all.

More info: There are Alerts in my Windows Event Viewer. Here's one:

Faulting application 00839811.exe, version 1.5.1.16, faulting module 00839811.exe, version 1.5.1.16, fault address 0x00004a12.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Also:

Faulting application spybotsd.exe, version 1.5.1.16, faulting module spybotsd.exe, version 1.5.1.16, fault address 0x00004a12.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

One of the two anti-virus scans was clean - waiting for Avast to finish (always takes a while).

Any thoughts before I re-boot?

Hi glnz2.

I'm Jim. There are a whole lot of other forum member much much more able than I am on your problem, but in case it is some sort of malware, there are two freeware progs that do a pretty good job, which you can also try.

No.1: SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition

No.2: a-squared Free
    In general these progs will pick up a few or maybe sometimes quite a few malwares including some viruses that Spybot and usual virus progs somehow miss.

But there is, in my opinion, no real replacement for Spybot. Its great. these are supplement progs that work good for me.

Hey out there, why can't someone try and help out glnz2?

Good luck glnz2!! Diligent

Thanks, diligentinquirer.

FYI - The computer rebooted OK (and presumably completed the uninstall of Spybot 1.5.1.16). After many anti-virus and anti-malware scans, I installed Spybot 1.5.1.19, and it's working. I did some more scans and a-squared Free said it picked up a worm. Although I have found a-squared Free to be too aggressive in the past, nevertheless, following its suggestion, I quarantined the file and the computer is still working OK. The new LogMeIn Free on this computer is also working well. Think the Spybot problem is over for now.

To glnz2;

If your happy, everyone else is happy. Jim.