Thread: Upgrading to Spybot S & D 1.5.1.15

Default Upgrading to Spybot S & D 1.5.1.15

I am currently running S & D V 1.4 with no problems. I was going to upgrade to 1.5 but read in the forum here about a problem with 1.5.1.15 that relates to a slow launch time from clicking the desktop until S & D appears on the screen.

As I would like to upgrade, can anyone tell me has a later version of S & D been made available that has does not have this problem? If so can anyone tell me where to locate it and how I install it. Do I need to uninstall v 1.4 first?

Thanks in advance for your help

The_Flying_Scot

Install the Release Candidate 1 (1.5.1.19) as that has solved many of the problems people were having and no you don't have to uninstall your previous version as the RC will install right over it
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Hello,

Please download the new Release Candidate.
    That should fix your problem.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default Upgrading to Spybot S&D 1.5.1.19

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Hello,

Please download the new Release Candidate.
    That should fix your problem.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot
    Hi,
    I upgraded to 1.5.1.19 Beta to a couple of days ago and I am still having some problems. It is causing a slow down on the Firefox pages to load. I read that this is due to the immunization. I never had a problem with 4.1 Also since I have installed it, it has not found ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL!!!! which I found very interesting. With the 4.1 version it always found some entries. This makes me feel that is not really scanning at ALL!. Maybe until the new version is thoroughly fixed I should just go back to 4.1. Also when I use Trend Micro it finds Adware_Memwatcher .I read it is supposed to be part of Spybot. I asked a question in another section of this Forum about this but I have not received an answer yet. I never got this entry before with Spybot 4.1. Do you have any suggestions? Is Adware_Memwatcher really a part of Spybot?
    I would appreciate your response.
    Thanks, Amy

Hello,

1. The Immunization only works properly while your browser is closed, since otherwise your browser will overwrite immunization from time to time from the settings it loaded when it was started.

2. Please run Spybot - Search & Destroy and switch to "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode" and select "Settings" --> "File Sets" in the left bar. There, please right-click somewhere into the list and choose "select all available checks".

3. It seems that Trend Micro mistakenly detect the immunization of Spybot - Search & Destroy. The immunization adds sites to the restricted zones in order to block them. So the baddies won't get in.

Run Spybot - Search & Destroy and switch to the 'Advanced mode' via the menu bar item 'Mode'. In the left bar select 'Tools' --> 'hosts list'. Please select 'Remove Spybot - Search & Destroy hosts list' in the right window. You can manually add/remove some entries. Therefore you have to edit the hosts-file with e.g. notepad (Close all browser pages before editing). The file is named 'hosts' without any extension. Search for the entries you do not want to block and delete them or add a new page to block. Where the hosts file is located depends on your Windows version...
    Windows 2000/XP/NT: C:*your windows folder*system32driversetc
    Windows 95/98: C:windowshosts After that save the file and start your browser again.

We also update the hosts list from time to time but not in a regular sequence.
    You don't have to remove the old list if you like to insert the new list.

If you like to learn more about the hosts file then please take a look here:
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot