Thread: startup item with no value or name

Default startup item with no value or name

another thing i found when tinkering with s&d tools.

at the top of the startup programs list it had an "HK_LM:Run (Current system)" listed with the name and value blank. the info in the column on the right gave 6 possibilities all downloaded by different trojans. a windows search for each of the files came up empty. i unchecked it and restarted, everything seems the same.

i recently had a tech at tech support guy forums help me with a couple issues. its been a couple months ago but all issues were fixed and all scans showed clear and normal. everrything has been fine since.

what should i do with it?? dont know if its something left over or new, i would like to indentify and deal with it [if needed].

thanx again

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

If both the name and the value of the entry are blank, than it is just an invalid entry. If the value of the entry is blank than the startup entry is not actually going to start anything, so it is harmless.

The comments provided by Spybot are based on the fact the name of the startup entry is blank.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.