Thread: Problems with New Version 1.5.2.20

Default Problems with New Version 1.5.2.20

Hi,
    I am still having problems with the new Version 1.5.2.20 with Immunize function not updating the protection of Global Hosts as with Version 1.5.1.15. It justs updates everything and after a long delay it seems to have finished but there are still 14 Entries not updated in Hosts.
    With the older version one of the ways was to revert to the original unprotected Hosts File manually and then re-start Spybot-S&D and get it to Immmunize all the Protection entries rather than just the new ones.
    I have the same problem with the new Version 1.5.2.20 but when I manually restore the original Host file when I re-start Spybot-S&D I find that "Global Hosts" does not even appear in the Immunize page anymore. I had to re-copy one of the last backups re-named as Hosts to bring it back. I also tried the De-Select All and then manually select Global Hosts and Undo but it never completed the undo. It just came back after delay without any changes. The new version certainly does start quicker even on my slowest system.

Lightbulb hope this helps...

do u have any programs on your computer that would lock the host file? for example, zonealarm in advanced settings can lock your host file. When your host file is locked, spybot cannot immunize it. I know, because i have zonealarm. Any program that locks your host file can cause this issue.
    Last edited by 129260; 2008-01-31 at 04:58.

The only program like that I have is a-squared Anti-Malware and I have set it to give it permission for SpyBot S&D to change the hosts file.
    You were right about that. I have deleted the rule in Anti-Malware and created it anew and that has fixed it. But there is still the issue of the Global Hosts tick box setting disappearing completely from the Immunize page if the hosts file has no settings except the Loop back one in the new Version 1.5.2.20.

Arrow hmm interesting...

well, im lost beyond that point. sry. hopefully someone else can help u better.

hello,

@thefly
    which OS are you running?
    and which are the 14 entries that do not get updated?

if possible please attach your hosts file to your next post

please also try the following:
    • switch to advanced mode
    • navigate to tools - hosts file
    • click on the add Spybot-S&D hosts list button
    • restart Spybot after the hosts file has been applied
    born in the shadow to die in the shadow, that is the fate of the shinobi

Spybot S&D Downloads

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Regarding Windows 2000 and no hosts file immunization shown, that is a feature, not a bug

Take a look at this project issue:
    Hosts file immunization and Windows 2000

Describes two ways at least to get them back if you really want; either using a tweak, or disabling the DNS Client system service.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Yes, It is with Win 2000 that the Global Hosts entry disappears. Thanks PepiMK for the explanation and for the fix. I will try it.

I have tried the above Registry Tweak to force the enabling of Hosts Immunization in Win2000. I inserted it in

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Safer Networking Limited\SpybotSnD]
    "ImmunizeHostsOn2000"=dword:00000001

and at

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Safer Networking Limited\SpybotSnD]
    "ImmunizeHostsOn2000"=dword:00000001

Neither of these worked but the method Yodama suggested does the same thing not under Immunization but under Tools.