Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can't install spybot

Default can't install spybot

don't matter which mirrior site i download from, once it goes to install, it does another download from 84.106.8.215 it says connecting but then it says unable to connect and I have to cancel install, Now I been using spybot since it came out this is the first time I've ever had this problem whats up?

Hello,

Please try this direct installation file.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default still not working

seems it's 87.106.8.215 everything works until it trys to connect to that ip, it says connection cannot be made....I have nothing turned on that would block this ip address, I'm uisng windows xp and since I can post on the forum I know I'm online......

got it working had to turn off updating during install, and all other options (such as seperate secure shredder) then it didn't try to download/install anything from 87.106.8.215 which let it install perfectly. I'm guessing whatever the above ip address was hosting they are no longer hosting.

now that it's installed, I cannot check for problems because I need the new detection rules which it can't find since I hit update/search it comes back saying no newer updates found.
    Last edited by jasontift; 2008-02-02 at 21:14.

Default Exactly The same problem!

I have exactly the same problem with installing the latest spybot as Jasontift. His symptoms are word for word what I have. I tried the direct download as well. It goes to install, it gets to the update bit and comes up with updallocator (1 of 1) and connecting to 87.106.8.215. Then I get told it cannot connect to the server and to cancel the installation. I too tried installing without any 'extras' and it does install but now I cannot update anything in Spybot.

I go to 87.106.8.215 in my browser and get told this is a new server and I will be directed to the temporary server .... and nothing happens!

Back to 1.4 for me, at least it updates OK.

Would love a solution to the install problem!
    Last edited by thomfam; 2008-02-04 at 03:25. Reason: tidying up spelling typos!

Uninstalled 1.5.1 before trying to install 1.5.2 then ran into
    exactly same problem as jasontift and thomfam above.

Running XP-PRO-SP2 with IE7
    Last edited by tom1573; 2008-02-04 at 09:38.

Quote Originally Posted by jasontift View Post
    got it working had to turn off updating during install, and all other options (such as seperate secure shredder) then it didn't try to download/install anything from 87.106.8.215 which let it install perfectly.
    That worked for me too. And, no problem getting updates afterward.

Here is the explanation: During the installation you can choose that Spybot should automatically download updates from the default mirror 87.106.8.215. The problem is if too many users request downloads from the same mirror than this mirror cannot handle them all at the same time.

You can choose the download mirror yourself if you use the update feature in the main application. This could reduce the chance of an overloaded.

Default I Don't get An Option Choose An Alternative Mirror

Thanks Chi-va. That makes sense. However when I click on Update in the left hand side of the SpyBot program, a wizard opens and begins to Search for Downloads. There is no change to the rest of the SpyBot window and no option (like I used to get in 1.4) to select an alternative Mirror to download.

Am I missing something?

Yes, it seems it doesn't work like it use to do. Do you have already installed Spybot-S&D 1.5.2 final? I cannot find the new tutorials for Spybot-S&D 1.5.2 on their homepage yet. So I'm afraid I cannot provide you links with screenshots because the update process is a little bit different from the way which you knows form Spybot-S&D 1.4. The new version has an external updater. With other words, after clicking on "Update" it will open a new updater window. If you continue the process it will first download a small update information file from one of the main mirrors. Then you have to choose a mirror before you can finally download the updates.

Do you have removed the old Spybot files before you have installed the new version? Maybe there is a conflict?

P.S.: I have found some screenshots of the new version:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/s...d15/index.html