Thread: NEW USER (Bit of a Novice)Confused after scan

Default NEW USER (Bit of a Novice)Confused after scan

I have been pulling my hair for days as my computer has been doing weird things. All seems to be fine now except that after boot up today there was no START on the L hand side of the screen but Spybot seemed to be performing another process even though it finished last night and I deleted all items marked RED. There was no option to minimise it and I wanted to write a letter. Am I missing something?

Lightbulb ok

let me see if i understand you correctly, you got on the computer to write a letter or email or something, and there was no start menu? and this happened after last night when you deleted items that spybot detected? Try hitting the windows logo key on your keyboard. does the start menu appear? If so, your windows start menu is hiding. So, to keep it from doing this, right click any area on the start menu and click properties. uncheck the hide start menu option and click apply and ok. It's possible that maybe your start menu is auto hiding, or your screen resolution is off. Meaning that you cant see everything on the screen. If you can get to the start menu, or control panel, look for a system restore option, choose a restore point before last night, and see if that fixes the problem. ok? get back to me and let me know.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

NEMESIA:

During the original scan/fix before rebooting the system, did you receive a message asking if you wanted to run Spybot during your next system startup similar to this?

Code:
    Warning

Some problems couldn't be fixed, the reason could be that the associated files are still in use (in memory).
    This could be fixed after a restart.
    May Spybot-S&D run on your next system startup?

[Yes] [No]
    If you received that message and answered "Yes", Spybot will run during the next system startup with few other things loaded and the desktop will not be populated including the "Start" button. This is done in an attempt to eliminate malware that can not be deleted while that malware is running.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.