Quote Originally Posted by Steve Morris View Post
I went through all the gyrations mentioned in an attempt to get the new Spybot to work and continued to get the invalid page fault in module (<unknown> message. I finally found out that if I started Zone Alarm, then closed it, that the new SpyBot worked fine. (You could leave Zone Alarm open, but SpyBot says to close all other running apps). Every time you start W98SE and try to run SpyBot, SpyBot again gives you this page fault message until you start and close ZoneAlarm again.
Further examination revealed that the vsmon.exe (TrueVector Service) could be clicked to start it and that SpyBot would run OK. The vsmon.exe is in the Windows System directory in the ZoneLabs folder. Clicking the vsmon.exe file won’t start ZoneAlarm -- however when ZoneAlarm is started it will automatically open up the vsmon.exe file.
I mention this only so that, hopefully, some computer knowledgeable person with SpyBot will know, at least, what is causing the problem and, again, hopefully, fix it.
Since ZoneAlarm no longer supports W98SE and those of us using ZoneAlarm are using outdated and unsupported software I hope SpyBot can fix the problem.
It’s rather annoying to have to start and close ZoneAlarm to get the newest SpyBot software to work.
I also am experiencing this problem of TeaTimer causing Invalid Page Fault errors. I am running Windows 98, but today I was over at a friend's house and he said the exact same thing happens on his laptop, which I believe is running XP. So, the very first person I mention it to has the exact same problem, what are the chances of that? I conclude that this bug is much more common than I (and apparently also people here) originally thought.

At first I was only seeing the IPF error when I left the system alone, leading me to think it was power management related as suggested in another thread, but now it seems to be happening while I'm online actively surfing. I just switched from Firefox to Opera so maybe that had something to do with it. Or maybe it's an interaction with my Sygate personal firewall, I just don't know. Whatever it is, I sure wish I could fix it, because I really like having the extra protection TeaTimer provides.