Thread: Failed Attempt to install SP2

Emeritus-Security Expert

Default Failed Attempt to install SP2

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.ph...5&#entry258867

Good Morning,

This poster is having an issue with a failed attempt to install SP2, after weeks of posting, they finnaly told me this was in the Spybot Search and Destroy log. I am unsure of how to correct this, any ideas would be appreciated.

Windows Security Center.SP2Update: Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\DoNotAllowXPSP2!=dword:0

Thanks,

Ken

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

That detection should have no bearing on whether or not you can install XP SP2.

The detection:
    Code:
    Windows Security Center.SP2Update: Settings (Registry change, fixed)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\DoNotAllowXPSP2!=dword:0
    Indicates that the following registry entry is not equal ("!=") to dword:00000000 ("dword:0"):
    Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\DoNotAllowXPSP2]
    That registry entry only had a meaning between the August 2004 delivery of XP SP2 and April 12, 2005. It was use to temporarily Block Windows XP SP2 delivery through Windows Update and Automatic Updates.

See the following articles for more information:Since the blocking only occurred when the registry entry was present, had a value of dword:00000001 and since April 12, 2005 no longer influences XP SP2, you can either fix the value in Spybot or the registry entry can be deleted.

Unfortunately, I do not believe that this is the source of any problems that you may be having with the installation of XP SP2.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2006-02-13 at 17:15.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Emeritus-Security Expert

Thank You, I appreciate your quick response.

Ken