Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Version 1.5.2 not scanning

That's odd,besides not seeing the green going across the progress bar and the running botcheck at the bottom,your pause button didn't appear.
    I tried a bunch of different settings,and I cannot make Spybot stick like that.
    The only thing I can think of is to try running a scan in safe mode,and see if the same thing happens or not.
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm
    (I'm crossing my fingers and hoping spybotSandra has some suggestions,lol.)

I know, it's really weird. I'll have to try safe mode just for kicks.

In the meantime, do you think reverting to the last version before this one would help? It was working fine until I updated to the current version.

No,probably best to see if any other suggestions come along first before reverting back to 1.4,unless you're infected and really need to do a scan,or something like that.

There's this FAQ here,though nothing there would probably help,since the older version ran fine,you probably don't have too many temp files or anything like that:
    http://www.spybot.info/en/faq/52.html

In case there are no other suggestions forthcoming in the next day or so,here is where the Spybot 1.4 can be downloaded from.
    http://www.oldversion.com/
    There are uninstall instructions here:
    http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html

How long did you leave Spybot before you pressed the stop scan button?

At first I didn't leave it alone for very long, but then after the whole re-install I did, I tried leaving it sit for around 10 minutes and still no movement.

Default Disabling download directories

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Please have a look at your download directory and try to disable it.
    Hello Spybotsandra, what would be the consequences of removing all folders currently specified in the "download directories" settings page? Would this make the computer more vulnerable?

Hello,

It won't make the computer more vulnerable.
    That are only directories/folders where you have downloaded some stuff before from the internet, like music or something similar. But those directories are not needed. If you download something new, you can make new directories.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Ungarsdequebec:

I have no idea were to answer your query. You have posted seven times in four different threads none of which you started and none of which were originally started because of hangs while "Running bot-check(xxxxx/yyyyy: Please wait scanning download directories)" was being displayed.

I am not sure that what you are experiencing is an actual hang or if fact you are just not waiting long enough for the scan to finish and assuming that the Spybot scan is hung during that phase of a "Check for problems" while the "Please wait scanning download directories" is being displayed.

My observations of the way Spybot reacts with and without the addition of "Directories" in Advanced mode > Settings.
    • When no "Directories" are specified:
      • During the running of a Spybot scan ("Check for problems") the status bar shows the following:
        • "Running bot-check(xxxxx/yyyyy:zzzzzz)" where:
          • xxxxx = Current check count.
          • yyyyy = Total check count.
          • zzzzz = Malware being checked for.
        • The xxxxx value in the status appears to skip approximately 4000 or so checks right near the end so that the xxxxx and yyyyy values are the same.
    • When "Directories" are specified:
      • During the running of a Spybot scan ("Check for problems") the status bar shows the following:
        • "Running bot-check(xxxxx/yyyyy:zzzzzz)" where:
          • xxxxx = Current check count.
          • yyyyy = Total check count.
          • zzzzz = Malware being checked for.

The xxxxx value continues to increment rather than skip the last 4000 or so checks while the zzzzz value says "Please wait scanning download directories". Then after the xxxxx and yyyyy values are the same the actual check of the download "Directories" starts. Depending on the size and particularly the number of files in the files defined by the "Directories" entry(s), this portion of the scan can take a considerable amount of time.

I, for one, would personally appreciated it of you started your own thread rather post in and point to other threads. If in fact there is an actual problem related specifically with the scan for "... download directories", it could probably be handled better in a separate thread rather than hijack multiple threads which only:
    1. Makes it difficult to respond to your problem.
    2. Diverts attention from the thread originators problem.
    3. Waste the time of those attempting to respond to problems in this forum.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Hello md usa spybot fan,

I apologize if my postings in various threads have generated confusion. I will not do this again as it appears to be "wrong", sorry.

I will try your suggestions as soon as possible. Thank you.