Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spybot Immunization has blocked all EXE??

Default Spybot Immunization has blocked all EXE??

Well, i've somehow screwed myself over.

Today upon load up spybots immunization program gives me a pop up saying something along the lines of (there was a change in your registry regarding EXE)

I didn't know what exactly to do about it, but I chose block.. however I didn't check the box for block forever.

Anyways, basically it ended up blocked all programs ending in exe... Absolutely nothing works on my computer anymore, all programs have been blocked including spybot.. i'm really screwed here. I'm using another computer to ask about this problem.. I looked all over the internet and for whatever reason I appear to be the only one who has ever had this happen..

I get the following message by the way whenever I try to start a program: "This file does not have a program associated with it. For performing this action create an association in the folder options in the control panel"

BAD BAD TIMES.. PLEASE HELP ME OUT!
    Last edited by Dailybread5; 2008-02-27 at 05:17.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

What Windows OS do you run on that system?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Windows XP

Just got a message when I tried to open a video file. (When I open pictures, word documents and excel documents they open the program, but I can't open the program through the shortcut.)
    The video file didn't work by the way.

Data Execution Protection - Microsoft Windows

To help protect your computer, windows has closed this program.

- Windows Explorer

(I already suspected that windows explorer had been blocked, but this message confirms it)

Tried iTunes file and it will open iTunes by clicking directly.

So for some files I can open the program through it, but I just don't know what the problem could be.

I found out I can run spybot by right clicking and "run as"

Now, is there a way that I can undo recent actions on Spybot specificially blocked items in immunization? I'm looking, but for some reason I can't find it.

Hello,

The immunization of Spybot does not make any alerts regarding registry changes. That is the resident TeaTimer.
    In order to undo a change please right-click the Resident icon in the system tray "Spybot S&D resident" and select "Settings". There you will find 4 lists for remembered decisions (allowed/denied processes and registry changes). In order to remove an entry just click on the cross next to it. TeaTimer will then "forget" this decision and you will be asked again the next time.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Dailybread5:

It sounds like your problem may be a file association problem for .exe files.

Since you are running Windows XP, the following Web page has fixes for problems with file associations:

The fix for EXE files is:

NOTE: If your EXE file associations are corrupted, it can be difficult to open REGEDIT, or to even import REG files. To work around this, press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter.
    Thanks to Nigel Andrews for this tip.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Another tip to open regedit.exe: rename it to regedit.exe.scr. The extension scr is reserved for screensavers usually, but any exe renamed to scr will run the same way as an exe. Credits go to Buster for this I think, we recently spoke about that
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Thanks guys i'll be giving it a try.