Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&D 1.5.2.20 issues with MSN?

Default S&D 1.5.2.20 issues with MSN?

I recently upgraded to S&D 1.5.2.20, but have had a few minor issue connecting to MSN Messenger since. Today MSN finally wouldn't log in at all, so I ran a troubleshoot on it.

The result was that it informed me the host file had references to MSN that would prevent it's operation, asking if I'd like to fix it. I hit fix and was succesfully logged in.

When I tried to shut the PC down Spybot then informed me of various errors and illegal accesses, giving numbered codes. I only managed to shut down by forcing an end program.

On restart - same problem with MSN, same fix suggested, same result.

Is it S&D that is erroneously blocking MSN (if so what do I do?!) or is S&D correctly ascertaining there is a problem with the system that MSN may be a part of? Nothing showing on AVG or adaware!

Hi Delinquent,

What other security programs are you running? Spywareblaster by any chance? I ask this because I had this same problem, but it was caused by spywareblaster.

Hi Honda12,

on this PC there is just AVG free edition, AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy.

I think its S&D that's doing it because of the issues with shut down and the S&D warning errors - though interestingly I've just re-run AVG and it is picking up changes to the host file there as well.

to see spybot is causing the problem, we need to disable the host file addition.

-under the immunize tab, uncheck 'Global (hosts)'

Then try to run msn again

right will do - I'll have to wait 1/2 hour or so as I'd just started running another sweep before I checked in - will post the results soon as I can!

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Delinquent:

If the suggestion by honda12 doesn't pan out and you are accessing MSN via Internet Explorer, consider the following approach to resolving the problem that you are having accessing MSN:
    • Go into Internet Explorer > Tools > select "Spybot – Search Destroy Configuration".
    • Then in the "Spybot-S&D - Configuration" window in the "Settings" tab under "When encountering bad things" you will see three options:
      • Block all pages silently
      • Display dialog when blocking
      • Ask for blocking confirmation
    • Select "Ask for blocking confirmation" and click "OK".
    • Exit Internet Explorer and restart it.
    • Attempt to access the same facilities within MSN that you are having difficulty with.
      • If you encounter a "Spybot-S&D Bad URL Blocker" dialog during that access that indicates Spybot is blocking a "Bad URL ", respond with "Allow".

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Interesting you should mention that - I access MSN via the MSN Live Messenger app rather than I.E. - however the other day immediately after install of S&D I got a Bad URL blocker appear when I fired up messenger. There were no browser windows open, I believe it might have come from the advert box in the bottom corner of the messenger Live app as when I closed and re-opened the blocker dialogue disappeared, not to be seen again.

Being particularly helpful, I now cannot get it to reproduce the problem!!!

Sometimes I really hate computers. Now being one of those times...

Smile

heh, im glad the problem was resolved by itself - computers can do some strange things!

Indeed, you just know it's going to do it again at the most inopportune moment though!!

Thanks for the help - at least next time I'll know the first thing to try