Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Teatimer Performance and Startup Issues

Default Follow-up

Teatimer.exe will bounce around, but when it is at its lowest point mem usage is 27,072k and cpu is 02. I need a little more clarification on system protector. Is this the one where you go to Tools.... Resident... and check the "Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) active." ? If so, when I uncheck this box, my performance improves significantly. It goes from over 4 minutes boot up, down to 1 minute and 27 seconds. The time to open and navigate various applications also improves. The boot up time stays stable no matter how many times I reboot. As soon as I enable it, the boot up time gets slower and then after a couple of reboots, returns to over 4 minutes.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by 787Infoquest View Post
    ...It goes from over 4 minutes boot up, down to 1 minute and 27 seconds. The time to open and navigate various applications also improves. The boot up time stays stable no matter how many times I reboot. As soon as I enable it, the boot up time gets slower and then after a couple of reboots, returns to over 4 minutes.
    787Infoquest,

I haven't seen in any of your posts on this subject details of what your computer system is, type of processor, speed, memory size, operating system, browser etc. It may help if you could post this information. I apologise if I've missed it somewhere.

Smile

... I need a little more clarification on system protector. Is this the one where you go to Tools.... Resident... and check the "Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) active." ?
    This item from md usa spybot fan may be of help

http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...01&postcount=6

Lightbulb ok....

Teatimer.exe will bounce around, but when it is at its lowest point mem usage is 27,072k and cpu is 02. I need a little more clarification on system protector. Is this the one where you go to Tools.... Resident... and check the "Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) active." ? If so, when I uncheck this box, my performance improves significantly. It goes from over 4 minutes boot up, down to 1 minute and 27 seconds. The time to open and navigate various applications also improves. The boot up time stays stable no matter how many times I reboot. As soon as I enable it, the boot up time gets slower and then after a couple of reboots, returns to over 4 minutes.
    that means that it is teatimer(resident protection over all systems) causing the problem. you are correct. My solution to this problem would be to keep teatimer deactivated. Or do this, since teatimer is causing your system to slowly boot, i would go into c drive, Or wherever spybot is installed, and go into program files, spybot s&d. one that folder is open, do the following. click tools, folder options. click the view tab. check show hidden files and folders AND UNCHECK hide protected system files. then click ok. see the teatimer icon? right click it an create a shortcut to the desktop. go back into folder options and undo what you did. then when you want an easy way to protect your system, but keep teatimer from slowing down your machine on boot up, just click teatimer on u desktop when u want it to run. Or you could just open spybot and click mode-advanced mode, and click yes, go to the settings spot, click the resident side button, and check use system settings protector. That would start teatimer after you boot up so that it doesn't slow your boot time. Thats one idea i have. You could just choose to keep teatimer deactivated. you would lose the resident protection, but it wouldn't slow you down. This is all up to you. I can honestly say i have no idea why teatimer is causing such a slowdown for you. A team member when they see this thread might be able to give you a better solution. If a spybot team member responds to this thread, follow there directions.

Lightbulb yes thats another thing i forgot to ask haha

Quote Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
    787Infoquest,

I haven't seen in any of your posts on this subject details of what your computer system is, type of processor, speed, memory size, operating system, browser etc. It may help if you could post this information. I apologise if I've missed it somewhere.
    greyfox is correct, if you could post this info that would help alot. please include the following: your spybot s&d version, your operating system, windows Xp, vista etc. and if you have installed any programs recently.

Default A new find....

An interesting new find. Due to my testing, I had a number of various malware software options out there… Spybot, Ad-Aware, Spyware Doctor, Windows Defender, AVG Antispyware, NIS 2008, Spyblaster, WinPatrol, etc. After a number of additional boot ups since I last posted, it started taking over 7 minutes to boot up and the system was starting to slow down even after boot up. Removing the check the "Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) active" would still result in better performance. I then went through my notes and realized that the teatimer errors started shortly after the Spyware Doctor 5.5 install. I disable Spyware Doctor Immunization and Guard protection and noticed some improvement. I then shut down Spyware Doctor and removed it. The system is back to 2.5 minutes start up with resident teatimer active. The performance on the system has also improved dramatically. I think I may have found a conflict between "Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) active" and Spyware Doctor. I will need to go through a number of reboots and see if the start up time and system performance remain constant. I will post back my results.

Operating System - Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

System Model - Gateway E-4000 4000783
    500 XL
    Processor - 2.53 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
    8 kilobyte primary memory cache
    512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Main Circuit Board - Board: Intel Corporation D845GRG AAA81583-300
    Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
    BIOS: Intel Corp.

Memory - 512 MB of RAM

Warning for those out there… Spyware Doctor 5.0 was a complete redesign. The initial reviews on 5.5 were positive, but those I have talked to and my experience is that there are a number of issues to be worked out, including installation complication and performance.

Lightbulb kool! now were getting somewhere! :) haha

that is def. possible that spyware doctor is not working properly alongside teatimer. As a general rule of thumb, let me remind you that you shouldn't run 2 antispyware RESIDENTS (active protection) alongside one another, as this can cause conflicts, like the ones you are experiencing. Scanners are fine to have more then one as long as they don't all have residents. The only ones i run that r 2 resident protection is windows defender alongside teatimer. They work fine alongside, and produce no issues for me. If this is true and you post back some more feedback and results, that would be great. If a spybot team member comes across this, they may be able to contact the other company and work this out. (if this is indeed a incompatibility issue.) Try going to spyware doctors webpage, and email them of this issue if your reports hold true. please post back thanks!!
    Last edited by 129260; 2008-03-10 at 22:21.

Default Slow performance from time to time

Once or twice a week all of a sudden my system slows to a crawl and when I check I find the Tea-Timer process is taking 60% to 90% of the system. If I just wait it will eventually go back to 1 to 2% and all runs normal. Both during this time and after I see no messages or windows open with any messages. I am running version 1.6.0.30 of Tea-Timer.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

dfjung:

Quote Originally Posted by dfjung View Post
    ... I am running version 1.6.0.30 of Tea-Timer.
    TeaTimer version 1.6.0.30 doesn't sound familiar. Please double check the version of both Spybot - Search & Destroy and System settings protector (TeaTimer) are you running. To do that:
    • Right click on the TeaTimer icon (actually labeled "Spybot-SD Resident") in the notification area (system tray area) of the taskbar.
    • Select "About".
    • This should yield a pop-up dialog with both the version of Spybot - Search & Destroy and the "System settings protector" (TeaTimer).

• Spybot - Search & Destroy
        Version ?.?.?.??
        System settings protector ?.?.?.??

What version of Spybot - Search & Destroy and System settings protector (TeaTimer) does the "About" dialog indicate you are running?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

The Teatimer is ver 1.6.0.30 with System settings Protector 1.6.3.25 and
    SpyBot S&D is Version 1.6.0.31 dated 1.07.09.
    This has been happening off and on for the last 6 months.