Thread: Hosts file: can SD accept my entries?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hosts file: can SD accept my entries?

Microsoft.Windows.RedirectedHosts: ..
    www .experts-exchange.com=127.0.0.1
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I have a few lines that I added manually in my hosts file, and SD always reports it... Can I get SD to accept those entries?
    If not, that could be a feature request: a hosts file editor embedded in SD, so it will recognize the entries we make ourselves.

(edit= added a space after www to not make a link to that evil evil website...)
    Last edited by NoNaMeStoleMyName; 2008-03-12 at 16:16.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

NoNaMeStoleMyName:

Yes there is, but doing that will eliminate the check for other redirected hosts file entries as well.

To exclude a detection from future scans:
    • After getting detection for malware during a Spybot's "Check for problems" (scan) that you want to exclude from future detections:
      • Expand the detection if necessary (+ to the left of the detection).
      • Select the item (entry) that you want to exclude by left clicking on it to highlight it.
      • Then right click on highlighted detection.
      • Select either of the following from the list of options in the menu.
        • "Exclude this detection from further searches"
        • "Exclude this product from further searches"

In other words left click to select then right click to display options. If you don't select (highlight) the item first the options menu is for the entire detection list.

Note: If you "Exclude this product from further searches", all detections for that product will be ignored not necessarily the just the detection that you received.

In this case the two are synonymous because the exclude for the detection is not tagged with the site name.

Why are you blocking access to experts-exchange.com? If it weren't one of the good guys Spybot wouldn't be checking to make sure it wasn't being redirected.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Aha, thx, sounds easy enough... That was what I'm after.
    Well, it's one of the first entries I made to the hosts file... Just pasted the first result I get on every single scan...(so that was a random choice..)

And that website... Evil... According to my standards...
    I want Google to personalize searches so I can totally exclude them from there too. Editing my hosts file is the best I've found to avoid accidentally going there...

//-----------------//
    edit: here's an idea: make it ignore redirects to 127.0.0.1? I don't think I 've seen spyware redirecting to that ip...
    Last edited by NoNaMeStoleMyName; 2008-03-13 at 18:35. Reason: to avoid double post

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NoNaMeStoleMyName View Post
    edit: here's an idea: make it ignore redirects to 127.0.0.1? I don't think I 've seen spyware redirecting to that ip...
    Some malware redirects malware removal help sites (like this one) to 127.0.0.1, preventing you from accessing those sites to get help removing the malware.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

In any case, I think the idea I posted in the first post is good!
    I mean the hosts editor inside SD...
    Prog. flow in brief:
    1)Gives u simple table user interface...
    2)Changes are saved directly in the real hosts file.
    3)SD just keeps a log of the entries added threw SD.
    4)These entries only are ignored when scanning.

Would really be very useful for people with huge lists in their hosts file.

Edit:
    5)Possibility for users to do copy paste operations in that user interface table... Excel.
    Last edited by NoNaMeStoleMyName; 2008-03-14 at 20:17. Reason: new idea while writing