Thread: RaySource

Default RaySource

Hi.
    I received some file from a Chinese person that I know on MSN. But, I want to know if a download program called "RaySource" is a spyware or not.

It's downloadable on
    PHP Code:
    www.fs2u.com
    Can anyone confirm to me that it is or not. The person I'm talking to is too dumb to understand me :(

Thanks and bye
    Last edited by tashi; 2008-03-15 at 08:00. Reason: Mod: broke link

Hello,
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebon14 View Post
    Hi.
    I received some file from a Chinese person that I know on MSN. But, I want to know if a download program called "RaySource" is a spyware or not.
    Receiving files from someone on MSN is high risk and the cause of many infections. Malware can be called anything.

You could upload the file to:
    http://virusscan.jotti.org/
    http://www.virustotal.com/

Also zip or rar the file/s and send them to:

Regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

No, no. It was by e-mail first. In the e-mail, there was links to two files of ~350MB each. The links are linking to an online Chinese storage called FS2U (
    PHP Code:
    http://www.fas2u.com 
    ). But, to be able to download the files, you need to download and install their download software called "RaySource".

Is there someone that can test it for me? You can download it there :
    PHP Code:
    http://download.fs2you.com/media/client/RaySource_Setup_V2.0.10.7348.exe 
    Last edited by tashi; 2008-03-15 at 22:09. Reason: broke links

Okay sunshine, I downloaded the .exe first and at 1.6Mb it was quick.
    Scanned it and all is okay with virus etc,

Then went to the web site and my computer lit up like a Xmas tree, with more warnings than on a smoke packet.

Keep well away as it is not what it appears to be.
    done it again.....my foulups are silent do you believe me ? I didn't think so!

Quote Originally Posted by BarbM View Post
    Okay sunshine, I downloaded the .exe first and at 1.6Mb it was quick.
    Scanned it and all is okay with virus etc,

Then went to the web site and my computer lit up like a Xmas tree, with more warnings than on a smoke packet.

Keep well away as it is not what it appears to be.
    Thanks for testing!
    I guess this is a very bad software with virus/spyware acting.

Banned Spammer

Hello there,

I was googling for Raysource that came across this forum and thought my experience with both the site and the program would be of any help to you

I am not Chinese but funnily enough like their dramas very badly because of which have to download files from fs2you.com using Raysource from time to time. Unfortunately I do not have Spybot installed and avast! (an AV and on-access scanner) and Windows built-in firewall are responsible for my Win security instead. Anyway, I have downloaded files from that site and nothing bad has yet happened (though I won't guarantee any thing nor do I recommend you risk anything). In my opinion, it's a sort of a P2P thing (client and network) working ONLY in IE as it both downloads and uploads at the same time (while it shouldn't do so as a file hosting service) and its speed changes from time to time, even reaching zero for a minute or so. OK, let me attach some screenshots to support this opinion:

The site, the progress bar, and raysource running :

(bad picture removed)

And this is the info shown while you move your mouse on the raysource accompanying task bar icon:

(bad picture removed)

And this is what you get if you open a fs2you link in firefox:

(bad picture removed)

I cannot be sure if the site is really harmful or not as neither my AV nor Google report it as being such a one and I myself hasn't faced any trouble using it (knock on wood!) yet but this doesn't guarantee it being absolutely clean as the way it handles and treats your downloads (like a BT client or emule) is rather strange

Anyway, these were all I have experienced using these and hope they are of any use to anybody

p.s. I usually uninstall raysource whenever I do not need to download from fs2you.com.
    Last edited by PepiMK; 2015-09-21 at 17:38.

Hey! What are you think about!
    Raysource is a very famous download tool in China! How can you doubt it as a virus!

Quote Originally Posted by kind03cn View Post
    Hey! What are you think about!
    Raysource is a very famous download tool in China! How can you doubt it as a virus!
    Raysource is a scam, a big mess! It runs two threads "peer" and "dumprep" without notifying the user even after he closes the program. Avoid it like plague.

Hey I downloaded this a while ago to get stuff off of Chinese web pages, it doesn't seem to be of any harm.

Here's a VirusTotal link for the installer I used:
    http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/4...378-1262419009

Like the guy above me said, it does run some processes in the background, I figure they're probably for the P2P aspect of the program or something, maybe so you can keep sharing files after you've closed the program? I dunno, I doubt they're malicious though. I kill them when I'm done using the program just to be safe.

This thread seems to be full of whistle blowers, i.e. "You DOWNLOADED IT from the INTERNET!!??! And it says .EXE?!??!?! ZOMG IT MUST BE A VIRUS!!!!11" I think the program is safe enough. But yeah that's just my two cents.

RaySource (the RayFile client) is widely used by the Chinese people. As far as I have noticed it is adware (a Flash banner ad at the bottom, that's all).