Thread: svchost.exe

Default svchost.exe

Not a bad thing is it?

It was accessing th internet, but it's not a bad thing is it? It's just something Microsoft has for our computers correct?

(Vista user)

Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Is it possible, that when it goes to the internet, it creates a fake link, and that link is used for false updates?

i.e. I go to update my Trend Micro PC Cillin Firewall, and it says it downloads from a download server, but instead it's downloading from a virus area and infects my computer so that Trend Micro PC Cillin can no longer be effective?

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by funkmeister99 View Post
    Is it possible, that when it goes to the internet, it creates a fake link, and that link is used for false updates?

i.e. I go to update my Trend Micro PC Cillin Firewall, and it says it downloads from a download server, but instead it's downloading from a virus area and infects my computer so that Trend Micro PC Cillin can no longer be effective?
    When what goes to the internet? Sorry but I do not understand your PM or the following:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...005#post174005

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...828#post166828

Best regards.

Trend Micro PC Cillin firewall.

svchost.exe goes to the internet and then leads my firewall to download updates from like a virus website instead of where it needs to go (wherever there may be).

Because I honestly have no idea what svchost.exe is.

What were the two ADWARE removal links about? Those were problems when I was on my mother's computer, I got my computer back but since it wasn't reformatted or anything for 2 months, I don't know what may have happened.

If your talking about the post on the price, I was just asking how much those anti-virus and/or anti-spyware materials costed, because I may like to try them out too.

As for my e-mail, I'm talking about if you can copy and paste the information from the link in your first post.

My situation is this, just to clarify: My firewall has been acting weird and is requesting to connect to the internet, I'm not quite sure what svchost.exe is, but that too requested it, and my firewall says its safe, but I've seen an adware get to the internet where the same firewall on a different computer said it was safe as well.

Is svchost.exe a safe program/material? Is my firewall okay? My father says its "self-quarantining" and is HiJack this a backdoor program? My father is a computer programmer, and says there are a lot of backdoor programs, in computer games, HiJackThis (which I myself doubt since the same company made my firewall), and programs like Firefox and Ventrilo, but do these programs really have bad programs/malicious things within/on them?
    Last edited by funkmeister99; 2008-03-19 at 18:09. Reason: Correction

Because I honestly have no idea what svchost.exe is.
    I gave a good link that contained screenshots. Malware can be called anything, if in doubt please produce a log in the malware forum.
    What were the two ADWARE removal links about? Those were problems when I was on my mother's computer, I got my computer back but since it wasn't reformatted or anything for 2 months, I don't know what may have happened.
    They are confusing with the way the information is presented. Also in one topic you did not followup with the person helping you.

is HiJack this a backdoor program? My father is a computer programmer, and says there are a lot of backdoor programs, in computer games, HiJackThis (which I myself doubt since the same company made my firewall), and programs like Firefox and Ventrilo, but do these programs really have bad programs/malicious things within/on them?
    HJT is not a backdoor program, it is a tool used by our helpers for analysing a log obtained from it.
    "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance)

Firefox is a well known browser, it is not a backdoor either.

Best regards.

As for my e-mail, I'm talking about if you can copy and paste the information from the link in your first post.
    Because you are wary of new websites, which is understandable. However howtogeek.com is a reputable site, which is why I provided the link.

I know it may be a reputable website, but awhile ago I was given a link for blogger, and that wasn't so safe to my computer.

Other then that, I have another question:

Cookies, are they potentially dangerous?

One was discovered called: Cookie_LivePerson,

I stopped the scan, removed it.

Redid it, and found it again, it was like the first ones found so it was found quick.