Thread: FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN\iexplore.exe how handle this hit

Default FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN\iexplore.exe how handle this hit

After years of using SBS&D I just received some new hits on my work PC. They have Norton security installed on our internal system, so it could be some change they made. Three Messages are registry changes FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN\iexplore.exe [is not] W=1
    Could someone point me to where I can find out "What's it all mean, Mr Natural?".

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

The default setting for the following registry entry became "iexplore.exe"=dword:00000001 with the introduction of Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN]
    "iexplore.exe"=dword:00000001
    Spybot's detection indicates that the registry entry "!=W=1" (where "!=" is not equal and "W=1" is dword:00000001). In other words the value not set to the default value.

There is an explanation (relatively technical) of FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN in the following:

The bottom line is, if you did not intentionally change the default for some reason such as the following, I suggest that fix the problem:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Spybot picks this up on my PC because I allow ActiveX to run locally on my PC. I develop websites, so I enable local ActiveX on the IE browser by selecting:

Tools/Internet Options/Advanced/Security/Allow Active content to run in files on my computer.

If I don't do this, I get this message whenever I test a webpage locally:

"To help protect your security, IE has restricted this webpage from running scripts or ActiveX controls that could access your computer"