Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: scan stops short of completion

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
    Guardian666

First, if you haven't already tried this, clear out all of your caches, temporary files and cookies. Also if you haven't already done so, see if the scan will complete if it is done in safe mode.

As another suggestion, start SpybotSD, go to Tools/Resident and untick both resident SD Helper and Teatimer. Then go to Settings/File Sets and untick all of the boxes except the very top one. This should give you a very short quick scan. If it still hangs, the only thing I can suggest is to un-immunise all items, uninstall SpybotSD and then do a complete new install. Leave downloading the updates until the install is finished.

If it doesn't hang at the completion of the short scan, try reticking the boxes one by one until it hangs again. Perhaps this may provide a further clue as to what is happening.

Sorry I can't come up with a quick fix.
    Quick fix isn't what I was looking for but I was hoping I wouldn't have to work so hard to get a software that was working fine until they decided to update it work again like it should.

To make this quick since I think I have wasted WAY too much time on this with no result to show for it, I have done everything you suggested and even did it inside a clean XP install VM with NOTHING else installed and still same disappointing result.

For now I don't have more time to waste, hopefully the developers will actually take the time and read through people's problem and do something or at least suggest something, the lack of any effort on their part to properly support their application is becoming very disappointing.

And before someone says its free what do you expect, providing a software for free is no excuse for not caring if it works or does what it needs to do. That's a very poor stance to take.
    [ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]
    Major's Blog :: NoScript Forum::

Lightbulb Help?

Hrm. When I first installed Spybot-SD, I left the options just as it is. However, I have attempted Advanced Mode several times. First, I went to ignore products. CD-zilla is check by default I think and so are several others. Uncheck them, so all of the products are unchecked. Before a scan, every week, I clean the temp. files, cache, in my browsers. Hope that help,s Guardian. >:D

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    Hrm. When I first installed Spybot-SD, I left the options just as it is. However, I have attempted Advanced Mode several times. First, I went to ignore products. CD-zilla is check by default I think and so are several others. Uncheck them, so all of the products are unchecked. Before a scan, every week, I clean the temp. files, cache, in my browsers. Hope that help,s Guardian. >:D

I appreciate the help. Yeah I noticed that some items are check by default as well and my policy is to clear them every time that I do a clean install on a machine, so they are all unchecked, so it goes after everything. I also have my Firefox set to destroy and dump ALL information when it closes and I do NOT EVER use IE. As for the temp directories, I have a tweak that clears that usually before running the scan. This is why I am at a loss, I have done everything that can be logically assumed to pose a problem but still nothing

Do you have removed the "Download directories" from Spybot-S&D as suggested? I wonder if someone else or something else have added them or maybe this is really a new default setting in Spybot-S&D 1.5.2? Can anyone confirm this?

By the way, it could be related to the software you use for cleaning the temp directories. May I ask the name of the software?

If you still have the time and the will to fix this problem then we have to use an additional file monitor software in order to see where Spybot-S&D is hanging or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by chi-va View Post
    [...] or maybe this is really a new default setting in Spybot-S&D 1.5.2? Can anyone confirm this?
    No there is no new default setting that adds download directories.
    However future detection rules may be able to add a download directory if traces of certain targets are found. Currently there are no such rules public.
    born in the shadow to die in the shadow, that is the fate of the shinobi

Spybot S&D Downloads

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodama View Post
    OK then, since I have the very same problem (see other thread), I will try to remove the directories that are specified in there. I'm not writing this post from my home computer so I cannot tell you what folders are specified in there, but there are at least four, and I sure did not add them myself. (to be continued)
    Last edited by Ungarsdequebec; 2008-04-01 at 17:12.

@Guardian666There is an undocumented problem in Spybot which isn't fixed yet.
    Chi-va, Could you tell us if there is a forum thread about this "undocumented problem", and where to find it? I would like to contribute to identifying the problem, if I can.

Arrow

Do you have removed the "Download directories" from Spybot-S&D as suggested? I wonder if someone else or something else have added them or maybe this is really a new default setting in Spybot-S&D 1.5.2? Can anyone confirm this?

By the way, it could be related to the software you use for cleaning the temp directories. May I ask the name of the software?

If you still have the time and the will to fix this problem then we have to use an additional file monitor software in order to see where Spybot-S&D is hanging or whatever.
    Yes I did remove the download directories and it completes more often than not when that happens but still there are times about 60% of the time that it will still have the same behavior. I did NOT add the directories, they were there and I didn't think they were default but here they are.

I do not mind telling you at all, I use TweakNow the latest version to do the 1-click cleanup that I have configured for it and it deletes all the TEMP directories regardless of their locations and also all the internet caches.

I would appreciate more tools and would be willing to try them and report back, just tell me what and where to get it and it will be done. Thanks.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Yodama View Post
    However future detection rules may be able to add a download directory if traces of certain targets are found. Currently there are no such rules public.
    Appreciate the confirmation that they are not default but they were there and they got there not just on this machine but others that are having trouble with the same thing. I wonder how they got there

Quote Originally Posted by Ungarsdequebec View Post
    OK then, since I have the very same problem (see other thread), I will try to remove the directories that are specified in there. I'm not writing this post from my home computer so I cannot tell you what folders are specified in there, but there are at least four, and I sure did not add them myself. (to be continued)
    Yes I had them too before I removed them, mine were "C:\Windows", "C:\Program Files", and "C:\Documents and Settings". If you have the same ones, then it might be something worth looking into to find out how they got there if they are not default added or by any rule that is public. Thanks.