Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spybot just DELETED EVERYTHING!! I have pic

If there is none specific test software available from the producer for checking the harddrive then you can simply use "Chkdsk":

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=k...15265&x=19&y=7

I don't know any direct issues from losing local stored data and the RAM(Memory) but it couldn't harm your system if you test it with "Memtest86+":

http://www.memtest.org/

I hope you have already found the pictures

GotDeleted, the problem is you did not think twice before doing something. I really do not think this would have happened if did not get malware. Reason is that, Spybot detected malware, and bingo. Here it is. You may want to try a System Restore, but its too late now. g'luck.

Quote Originally Posted by GotDeleted View Post

I reported this so the Spybot team is aware of this and for others too.

I took the photo because directories, files and icons were disappearing left, right and center. I wanted to make a screen shot but MS Paint was deleted. I wanted to get some sort of reference so the Spybot team could explain what happened.
    for reference: Spybot S&D did not delete everything on your computer. As you can see from your screen shot only one folder was marked for removal.
    Also note that the screen shot shows a "broken" output. The reason for this is either related to malware or broken hardware.

As for checking your hardware please follow the advise from chi-va. If you know the vendor of your hard disk you can get a diagnostics tool for the hard disk on the vendors website.

Protection however is never absolute. Malware/Virus producers have an edge over the security software vendors or in other words the attacker has the initiative. That means even if you update on a regular basis there is always a time window when your computer is unprotected from specific threats. Additionally more and more malware try to avoid technical means of protection by using social engineering. That does not mean that protection software is useless, but it can only cover one aspect for you, you have to take care of the other aspects which are:

* prevention
    ** reduce user access rights for internet usage when possible (do not use administrators for surfing)
    ** use a personal firewall to help sandboxing internet access
    ** do not install software from unknown sources
    ** do not apply cracks for software
    ** avoid advertising
    ** avoid active scripting

* backup
    ** backup important or unique data regularly
    ** keep data on a different partition than the operating system, that way backup and restore for both can be done more flexible
    born in the shadow to die in the shadow, that is the fate of the shinobi

Spybot S&D Downloads

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.