Thread: SD resident won't let me change my screensaver

Default SD resident won't let me change my screensaver

I'm running the SD resident. But, I find that I am unable to disable my screensaver in Windows XP Pro. Sometimes I want to turn off the screensaver when I'm doing something I don't want the screensaver to interfere with (e.g., recording an LP record, burning a CD, etc.). But, that ever watchful SD Resident won't let me turn the thing off. And I can't find the setting to tell it to keep it's hands off and let me turn off my own screensaver. ARRG! So, I have to exit the bugger altogether in order to make my setting change. I'd rather not do that since I know most of what the SD Resident does is for my own protection ;-)

Can anybody steer me to the setting in SD where I can tell the little bugger to let me turn off/on my own Windows screensaver?

Thanks!

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

dbe4876:

What message(s) are you getting?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

See the attached SD dialog. Something about a blacklist.

dbe4876:

Apparently you denied a similar registry change at some point in time and checked "Remember this decision". If you check "Remember this decision" on a registry change the information concerning that change it is stored in a file. TeaTimer uses that information to automatically "Allow" or "Deny" similar changes and will, in your case, continue to "Deny" the change based on the "Blacklist".

To edit the information used to automatically handle registry changes:
    • Right click on the TeaTimer (Spybot-SD Resident) system tray icon and select Settings. This will bring up TeaTimer's "White & Black List". There are four (4) Buttons across the top of the "White & Black List":
      • Allowed registry changes
      • Blocked registry changes
      • Allowed processes
      • Blocked processes

You can review all the entries that you have stored by clicking on these buttons. The entries that you should review are in "Blocked registry changes". You must remove the entry from "Blocked registry changes" that is causing the registry change to be denied. You can delete entries by clicking on the scripted black "X" to the right of the entry that you want to delete, answering "Yes" to the confirmation dialog and then clicking the "OK" button when you're done.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Well, that was a bugger. I finally found a forum post that spoke to the "blacklist" in Tea Timer...

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...ight=blacklist

Dudes, there are two obvious problems with your software here.

First, the system tray resident program goes by two names - "SD Resident" and "Tea Timer." Pick one and stick with it and use that throughout the application. Having two names is not "nifty" or "spiffy" or even "cute," it's just plain confusing to users.

Secondly, the Settings area of the SD Resident/Tea Timer are not intuitive enough and not well documented. I didn't figure out I could delete the items in the blocked registry changes list (in effect removing them from the "blacklist") until I found this item burred in your forums. There is no mention of a "blacklist" in your SD Help file - do the search, it comes back "Nothing found." Also, there is no Help button in the SD Resident's Settings window, and there should be.

And before some snot nosed geeky kid comes back and dishes out the typical patronizing response, let me explain that I test software for a living and have been doing so for 10 years. If it takes me this long to find the information, not in the Help file but in a forum, it's something that is sorely lacking in the application's documentation. And, do me a favor, if you're under 30 years old don't respond.

dbe4876:

The message you were getting, which you didn't bother posting initially, indicated that the registry change was being "denied ... based your black list".

From Spybot's help facility:

How do I edit the Black & White list in resident TeaTimer? FAQ #005

Please right-click the Resident icon in the system tray Spybot S&D resident and select Settings. There you will find four lists for remembered decisions (allowed/denied processes and registry changes). In order to remove an entry, just click on the cross next to it. TeaTimer will then "forget" this decision and you will be asked again the next time.

Quote Originally Posted by dbe4876 View Post
    And before some snot nosed geeky kid comes back and dishes out the typical patronizing response...And, do me a favor, if you're under 30 years old don't respond.
    Well, that doesn't help anything does it. My apologies for morphing into a rant. Couldn't find an edit option on the post or would have removed the diatribe. Chant happen again.

dbe4876:

... Couldn't find an edit option on the post or would have removed the diatribe. ...
    I believe that the defaults of this forum are:
    • 5 minutes to edit the title of a thread that you originate.
      --- and ---
    • 15 minutes to edit a post that you originate.

If you went into this thread more than 15 minutes from the time you posted, that is most likely why you did not see an "Edit" button on your post.

In further response to your "… diatribe …"

… There is no mention of a "blacklist" in your SD Help file - do the search, it comes back "Nothing found." …
    Admittedly, if you go into Spybot's help facility and do a search for "blacklist" (one word), the particular article that I referenced is not displayed. However if you enter Spybot's help facility and do a search on "black", "list", "teatimer", "resident", "edit", "registry", "changes", etc., etc., the "FAQ #005 How do I edit the Black & White list in resident TeaTimer? (Spybot – Search & Destroy)" article is displayed in the list of "Select Topic to display".
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2008-04-05 at 23:07.