Thread: software update checker ?

Cool software update checker ?

For the past few days I've been getting a reminder to update some of my applications. It calls itself "software update checker" by AppHit.com.
    I don't recall installing it, or asking it to scan my computer for needed updates.
    I tried disabling it, but there's no such option. Nothing comes up in my AVG or spybot scan.
    I just don't like it being there in the background somewhere. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hello,

Did you look in ADD/REMOVE programs for AppHit and are you using BitComet P2P file sharing program?

Site Advisor: http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/apphit.com

Google:
    apphit's BLOG - apphit - BitComet
    This site may harm your computer.
    www.apphit.com. http://blog.bitcomet.com/apphit/ ... This blog is the official blog of AppHit.com. ... apphit.com appears to be a clone of filehippo.com ...
    blog.bitcomet.com/apphit/
    Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Yes, I am using BitComet. AppHit is not on my add/remove programs.

So is there any way of getting rid of this AppHit update checker, or is it part of BitComet? If it's part of BitComet, is it safe to assume that it will disappear if I uninstall BitComet?

I checked the AppHit website for the answer but their replies are so annoying. "dear, do you mean the update checker?", "dear, you must run it in order for it to work"..., but they won't tell the poor fellow how to get rid of it!

Thanks Tashi

Hello,
    Quote Originally Posted by angla10 View Post
    If it's part of BitComet, is it safe to assume that it will disappear if I uninstall BitComet?
    As far as I know, a trial version of AppHit update checker is bundled with BitComet, it is possible that uninstalling BitComet will remove AppHit.

That would be the quickest way to find out. It is also possible they may be separate entities once installed though.

If you would like someone to take a look at the system, please follow the procedure in this link:
    "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance)

Then start your own thread in the Malware Removal Forum where a helper will advise you when available.

Cheers.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Smile

Thanks Tashi. I'll start a thread in malware removal when I get all the stuff together.