Thread: Can't stop SB from opening?

Angry Can't stop SB from opening?

Hi All,
    I love Spy Bot but the last time I ran it to try and fix Smitfraud (SB couldn't remove it) it asked if it could scan again at start-up. NOW however, I can't stop it from trying to run a scan EVERY TIME I turn on my computer. How do I get it to stop popping up every morning??? Is it this Smitfraud-C thing that I've contracted?? Thanks for any replies,
    radio

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

radiocycle:

When you allow Spybot to run once at next system startup, the following "RunOnce" startup entry is added to the registry:

Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce]
    "SpybotSnD"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Spybot - Search & Destroy\\SpybotSD.exe\""
    "RunOnce" startup entries are automatically deleted when the program they start completes. The only thing that I can think of the would cause the problem you are describing is that the registry entry is not being deleted.

Are you running TeaTimer and getting a TeaTimer dialog message when you exit Spybot after it automatically started? The dialog would look like:

Spybot - Search & Destroy

Spybot - Search & Destroy has detected an important registry entry that has been changed.

Category: System Startup global entry
    Change: Value deleted
    Entry: SpybotSnD
    Old data: "C:\Piogiam Files\Spybot - Search _Deslroy\SpybotSD.exe"
    New data:
    You must allow that change so the the registry entry is deleted.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.