Thread: Spyware Detector problems

Default Spyware Detector problems

Hello all. I'm a complete Newbie here, so please don't flame me too hard if this is in the wrong place...

I've been running Spyware Detector for a while: I thought it was just paranoid and guessed that this might have been a way of encouraging people to register..

... the programme has started to get really annoying. It keeps removing bits of perfectly good software - Install Shield Express - for example and I cannot work out how to stop it.

Hence my move to Spybot - and I'm impressed thus far. I feel a donation coming on. Now, each time that I run a full check with spybot it flags all the components of Spyware Detector as being threats. It explains that some distros of Spyware Detector were found to carry a virus.

I've done a few internet searches and I thought, from my reading, that Spyware Detector was no-longer going to be flagged as a threat by Spybot S&D.

Should I simply get rid of it? Or keep it for a second opinion? Having spent good money on the registration fee, I don't really want to wipe it out, but if it poses a threat, then it has to go...

... what should I do?

Lightbulb my suggestion...

would be to ditch it. There are several other programs such as windows defender and adaware free available. As for your posting, i think its in the right place. If it wasn't, they would move it.

Thanks.

Erasure it is...

What is Spyware Detector? Never heard of it. If you want to remove malware, SpywareBlaster and Spybot-SD make a great team.

Never heard of it either!

If you want good trusted FREE realtime anti-spyware/anti-malware products, I suggest:
    Spybot S&D with TeaTimer
    Spyware Terminator (without WebSecurityGuard and Crawler toolbar)
    Comodo BOClean

Just ditch the Spyware Detector thing.

Lightbulb also i might add

there are some things found in google wondering if Spyware Detector is a rouge spyware application.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

129260:

Spyware Detector was at one time considered a Rogue-Suspect Anti-Spyware Product according to:

However it is no longer considered a Rogue product according to the Spyware Warrior Web site and was removed from that listing with the following comments:

Note on Spyware Detector: Spyware Detector was listed on this page because of concerns with false positives. Testing with the latest version of Spyware Detector indicates that the problems with earlier versions have been satisfactorily resolved. Thus, we can no longer consider Spyware Detector to be "rogue/suspect" anti-spyware.
    Domains: spywaredetector.net

[A: 7-10-05 / U: 1-10-06]

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Hahas. Now you said it, Spyware Detector sounded skeptical at first. And most rogue-applications require you to purchase it. Waste of money.

Lightbulb ah ok

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    129260:

Spyware Detector was at one time considered a Rogue-Suspect Anti-Spyware Product according to:

However it is no longer considered a Rogue product according to the Spyware Warrior Web site and was removed from that listing with the following comments:
    gotcha. I guess i didn't look as closely on some of the pages i came across. thanks.