Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alter Ego - an alternate way for safer networking

Pepi so basically, it would be much safer to browse through a Limited Firefox because malware cannot exploit it. Even if it does it cannot affect the user's OS as a whole? Is that the general idea of AE?

@nOInfectIOn: Downloads: maybe I should just describe on how I myself use it

My main, admin, account is named "patrick", and I log in as him.
    My restricted account is "patrick-online".
    When I download anything in Firefox or IE, I do not run it immediately, but save it to "My Documents".
    As the browser is running as "patrick-online", this path actually is "C:\Documents and Settings\patrick-online\My Documents\".
    I did create a shortcut to that folder on my ("patrick"s) desktop.
    So once the file has downloaded, I open that folder on my desktop, and double-click the downloaded installer to install it (since the desktop is running as "patrick", that works fine).

So, instead of clicking "Run" on the download, I click "Save", click the desktop folder, and then the download.
    Two clicks more, but those make sure only those installers are run that I intentionally download and execute

Parallel usage: is fine
    You can use AlterEgo when using the admin account to set up links that would use any already existing restricted account. Just select "Select an existing user as your Alter Ego" on the "User account" tab.
    (hmmm... should add the localization stuff to make it German as well at some point )

(still looking to find time to look into the Opera thing, so much to do on both Spybot-S&D 1.x and 2.0 )

@drragostea: yes, you got it
    well, actually that's the idea of using restricted accounts, and AlterEgo is just a compromise to make using them easier
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    Parallel usage: is fine

I described my first experiences in the AE-section

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    @nOInfectIOn: Downloads: maybe I should just describe on how I myself use it

My main, admin, account is named "patrick", and I log in as him.
    My restricted account is "patrick-online".
    When I download anything in Firefox or IE, I do not run it immediately, but save it to "My Documents".
    As the browser is running as "patrick-online", this path actually is "C:\Documents and Settings\patrick-online\My Documents\".
    I did create a shortcut to that folder on my ("patrick"s) desktop.
    So once the file has downloaded, I open that folder on my desktop, and double-click the downloaded installer to install it (since the desktop is running as "patrick", that works fine).

So, instead of clicking "Run" on the download, I click "Save", click the desktop folder, and then the download.
    Two clicks more, but those make sure only those installers are run that I intentionally download and execute
    First of all ,I installed AE and did all (migration to ff) etc and found that FF would not launch from Quicklaunch. Although it would launch from start menu etc I uninstalled it to be safe.Was FF(AE) hiding under a different FF icon and was a inactive icon in Quicklaunch??

What happens if I save the file in another drive say e: or f: ,still the rules described in the above "quote"hold?

Question Hilfe!

Ich kriege fast schon multiple Krisen Ich hoffe sehr Ihr könnt mir helfen. Wie kann man den Ego wieder deinstallieren bzw. Änderungen vornehmen? Und wenn schon beides nicht (was ich mir nicht ernsthaft vorstellen kann), deaktivieren!?

Quote Originally Posted by DAUlinchen View Post
    ...would you like to be thrown out of window?... rule_mantra1: I love my computer _ step2: cup of tee _ step3: Open again AE; On the start page there is a uninstall button.

Default I think I found a bug in AlterEgo

I have attached a snapshot of the error I got.

Thanks.

I don't see anything attached... did you forget to attach it?
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

@SBSD-Team:
    Are you planning to release a new version (current is from april ´08 and has number 0.3) or has this project slept away silently?

Sincerely

Zu schwierig zum Übersetzen (Sorry for not translating!):

- AE klappt auch auf Win7
    - Auf dem Desktop wird der Originallink in einem Ordner "versteckt" <-> das wäre auch für die task- /Schnellstartleiste sinnvoll
    - Beim Original-IE wird oben im Rahmen eine Warnung /ein Hinweis eingeblendet <-> das wäre auch beim MP sinnvoll

- der eingeschränkte /neue IE (32 bit) lässt sich nicht starten! ..."! Der Befehl RUNAS wird nicht unterstützt."...