Thread: Help! Installing detection updates

Default Help! Installing detection updates

Having downloaded the upgrade. When I try to start scan
    I get the message 'You need to install detection updates first by using the integrated update or the manual update.'

"From the help file since I cannot find or access a screen that offers me integrated updates. Back inside Spybot-S&D go to the Advanced Mode (via menu Mode), then choose Settings → Settings, and scroll down to the entry Automation - Web update - Use proxy. Now check the box below it, and a dialog will appear where you can enter your proxy settings.

The format is host:port (the host is the name, the port the number you found in your browser).

This is greek to me I don't understand what proxy means.

My port would be 80 what is the name of the host? Is that the browser or the
    i.s.p. that I am using?

I use a netscape browser that allows me to turn on proxy settings figuring that if I do this that I will be allowed to access a dialog box enabling me to install detection updates?

Any help would be most appreciated

glowboy

Smile

Hi glowboy. I, too do not know much about proxies and their functions, but don't be embarrassed. Heres a link describing proxies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_server

Well, from how I see it... proxies are more... like a "server". You connect to the internet through them. However, not all proxies are good. Some are "hostile" and are used for criminal/illegal purposes (eavesdrop).

In addition, did you install all the latest updates? Also, the latest Spybot-SD is 1.5.20. In my perspective, I would not recommend using or playing around with the advanced settings, since I do not use them. I would suggest reinstalling Spybot-SD (fresh install). First remove your current Spybot-SD via Add/Remove programs window. If Windows tells you to reboot, then reboot. Lastly, install a new copy.

Default ....a little help from my friends...

Thanks for the replies Drragostea! I will look up the reference and probably try re-installing. I had an older version and thought of the upgrade which lead to this problem. Will report back.
    Cheers.

Glowboy, I'm having the same issue and just started a new thread about it...should have looked around some before I did it, I guess, but I'm the impatient type...
    Did your issue resolve with an uninstall/re-install fresh?
    Thanks in advance,
    Timmerz

@glowboy, no problem. A fresh install of the version should solve the problem along with the patches of the latest updated. In addition... for example if a user still had v.1.4 on their computer, Spybot will not distribute v.1.5 by it's updates in the program. You'll have to download a new copy from Spybot-SD's website.

glowboy,do you use a proxy,or were you just following the helpfile,since you could not update?It could also possibly be that your firewall is blocking the updates.Please see md usa spybot fan's post here:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...42&postcount=5

You could also download the detection updates manually:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...39&postcount=2

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    @glowboy, no problem. A fresh install of the version should solve the problem along with the patches of the latest updated. In addition... for example if a user still had v.1.4 on their computer, Spybot will not distribute v.1.5 by it's updates in the program. You'll have to download a new copy from Spybot-SD's website.
    Well, I had version 1.4, and version 1.5.2 was proposed in the list of updates ! I installed it : it does'nt work, and even blocks my computer. I uninstalled Spoybot (even deleting all the files left after the uninstall process). I reinstalled from scratch : same problem !

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Jacques P:

Did you try either of the solutions suggested by Zenobia in the post above your's?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

It may be a firewall blocking the updates. @Jacques P, you said v.1.5.2 appeared in your v.1.4 updates? That might explain why Spybot later was not functioning well.