Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help with virus!!

Default Thank you so much!!

I want to express my gratitude for helping me with this infuriating and potential costly problem. Thank you just does not seem sufficient for all the time and help you provided to me with this 'back door trojan.'

I executed all your advisement with the final clean up and implemented all the recommendations with the exception of the 'host file.'

I only have 3 questions at this point. After installing IESpyAd and installing the ie-ad.reg file as per the tutorial instructions. The tutorial said that to check if the file has been installed correctly, I must check the "restricted sites" icon under the "security" tab of IE and see an icon that resembles a "no entry" sign (i.e. red circle with white bar across). But I just have the red circle with a diagonal slash instead. Does it mean it did not install correctly even though I received a message that the file has been successfully installed. Sorry if this come off a bit confusing.

The other question is about the firewall selection. I have a subscription to Norton Internet Security and Anti-virus and the firewall is enabled. Is this sufficient even though I got the virus/trojan? OR the spyblaster and IESpyAd and Spybot S&D.

My final question is. Ever since I installed Spybot S&D with "tea-timer" that is in my system tray, I get some blank pop about "tea-timer" some of the times I restart the machine. What is this? Description of pop-up message: Box with a button in the middle that is without any text and this is in front of Spybot S&D detection.

Again, thank you so much. Please let me know if I should be concerned about any of those things.

You ARE a "tech-guardian."

-Phil

Security Expert: Emeritus Blade81's Avatar

Hi

I believe IESpyad installed fine. Your Norton AV + firewall is just ok. Adding those spywareblaster and others don't replace a firewall. They just bring extra security. For the question about TeaTimer you could ask here.
    Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2016-2020
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2008-2015
    UNITE member since 2006

If you have problems create a thread in the forum, please.

Malware removal instructions are for the correspondent user's case only.

Security Expert: Emeritus Blade81's Avatar

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad I could help.

Note:If it has been five days or more since your last post, and the helper assisting you posted a response to that post to which you did not reply, your topic will not be reopened. At that point, if you still require help, please start a new topic and include a fresh HijackThis log and a link to your previous thread.

If it has been less than five days since your last response and you need the thread re-opened, please send me or your helper a private message (pm). A valid, working link to the closed topic is required.
    Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2016-2020
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2008-2015
    UNITE member since 2006

If you have problems create a thread in the forum, please.

Malware removal instructions are for the correspondent user's case only.