Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unable to fully immunize

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

HaloCEO:

I do recognize any of those programs as things that modify the HOSTS file (assuming that you meant SpywareBlaster as opposed to "SpyBlaster").

I suggest that you try replacing your HOSTS file with the Microsoft default file and then attempt to add Spybot's HOSTS file again.

To replace your HOSTS file with Microsoft default HOSTS file:
    • Download HostsXpert from the following site:

The page for HostsXpert is:

The direct download URL for HostsXpert.zip is:
    • After downloading HostsXpert.zip, unzip (extract) the content of the file into a known location.
    • Execute HostsXpert.
    • If the first button in the left hand pane is "Make Writeable?", click on the button.
    • Click on the "Restore MS Hosts File" button.
    • When you receive the following confirmation dialog click "OK".
      • Confirm
        Press OK to Restore Microsoft's original Hosts File
        [OK] [Cancel]
    • Exit HostsXpert.

Add Spybot's Hosts file as follows:
    • Go into Spybot > Immunize.
    • Right click on the right hand pane and select "Deselect all".
    • Scroll down to the bottom of the right hand pane and under Windows check "Global (Hosts)".
    • Click the "Immunize" button at the top of the right pane (the button with large green plus sign)?

--- or ---

• Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Hosts file > Click the "Add Spybot S&D hosts list" button (at the top).
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2008-04-21 at 18:52.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

That did the trick. Thank you so much for your persistence!

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

HaloCEO:

Glad to been able to help.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Hosts File is Locked by another program

I had the same problem (71 UNPROTECTED items in "Global (Hosts)"). The solution can be much simpler ... as has been pointed out in another post or two ... and this solution worked for me. No rebooting, no downloading anything, no changing any files in system directories ...

Basically you are probably running another program on your PC which LOCKS THE HOSTS FILE. In my case it was ZoneAlarm. I am using the FREE ZoneAlarm version 7.0.470, but this should work with all 7.xx versions, may be also older ones.

Start ZoneAlarm (double click on the icon on the system tray).
    Select the "FIREWALL" tab on the left.
    Select the "Main" tab near the upper right.
    Click the "Advanced" button near center right side.
    In the new pop-up window ("Advanced Settings") UNCHECK the "Lock host file".

Now re-immunize with SB S&D.

You could re-lock the hosts file in ZoneAlarm afterwards, then re-apply the above each time you update SB S&D ... or it might be sufficient to use SB S&D Tool "IE Tweaks" and its own "Lock Hosts file read-only as protection against hijackers."

Hope this helps someone ...

I am also seeing immunization problems again. Spybot 1.5.2.20 fails to immunize 71 unprotected items under "Windows Global Hosts".

Tried disabling Spysweeper 5.5.7.124, NAV 7.0, and PC Tools Threatfire 3.5.0 but that doesn't help.

I am also running SpywareBlaster 4.0 and there was previously a conflict between Spybot and that, but it was supposedly fixed.

OS is Windows XP Media Center Edition.

I was finally able to immunize "Windows Global Hosts" by disabling my firewall and Spysweeper. However Spysweeper, once re-enabled, now insists on displaying a constant popup "The Internet Communications Shield has blocked access to: (whatever) ".

My plan to fix this was to undo the SpyBot immunizations for the Hosts file. I tried deselecting everything except "Global Hosts" and then clicking "Undo" but that has no effect. Can I just edit the Hosts file and remove all of Spybot's modifications manually, or can you suggest some other workaround?

Default imunize

I'm running Spybot S&D v1.52 which seems to have been fine until today. Having downloaded the latest definitions I went to immunize so that all the new defs would be taken into account but whilst it did take in most it still left 250 unprotected.

I also run Webroot's SpySweeper so I shut that down and tried again because sometimes that blocks Spybot from its immunization task. No change!
    I have the same problem and my error message is for me to run under admin privledges but i am running us admin ?
    Any help much appriciated

Default Global (hosts) And Norton

does anyone know how I unlock host files in Norton 360. Georg gave instruction for zonealarm but my office uses Norton 360 version 2. I also was wondering if this would harm my virus protection in any way. Any help would be appreciated. THANKS