Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Spybot freezes when correcting problems

Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    To prevent any further infection I recommend installing XP Service Pack 3 when it becomes fully avaliable in a few days time.
    In a few days time? Are you sure? I heard it was on June 10th on Wikipedia's page.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    Ad revolver, BFast and Zedo are listed in Spybot as tracking cookies.About the best way I can describe them is as a minimal spyware threat.
    Some people do not consider these tracking cookies a threat. Just a "threat" to privacy. Lols. @2tallbill, we can clean them (browser tracks) with a all-in-one tool called, CCleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    :we can clean them (browser tracks) with a all-in-one tool called, CCleaner.
    drragostea
    CCleaner is a tool, and like any other tool, in good hands it can be used to good purpose, but please consider when recommending this type of program to others it that in inexperienced hands it can be like handing a chainsaw to a child - the result could well be a disaster.

Yes,drragostea,that's why I called them a minimal spyware threat.But,Spybot should not freeze when fixing problems,including red cookies or usage tracks,and that's mainly what I'm concerning myself with here.

Quote Originally Posted by 2tallbill
    I am using Spybot 1.5.2 and updated it today.
    2tallbill,did Spybot just start freezing when fixing problems after you updated on May 1st,or was it freezing before that?

I tried Spybot in safe mode and it froze when I tried to remove the log.
    It did not show the same problems that it did when I tried it in regular mode.

It was frozen in regular mode as well

Any help would be appreciated,

Bill

When you tell Spybot to fix the problems and usage tracks,does a confirmation dialog pop-up,and it freezes afterwords,or does it just freeze as soon as you click 'Fix selected problems'?

Were you having the freezing problems before you updated on May 1st,or did Spybot only start freezing when fixing after that?

If you've scanned with Spybot at any time,and didn't try to fix any problems,have you noticed if Spybot hung when you were closing it?

Also,did you try running Windows Cleanup!,and clearing the cache and cookies in Firefox after that,before scanning with Spybot the last time?And,roughly how long is it taking for Spybot to scan your computer?

Do you have any other antispyware applications on your computer?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    In a few days time? Are you sure? I heard it was on June 10th on Wikipedia's page.
    My bad Your right, I'm wrong.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Ok, I made the changes that you asked me in Firefox and I ran spybot again both in safe mode and in normal mode. It freezes every time when I ask it to remove something.

Any additional help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Bill

When you tell Spybot to fix the problems and usage tracks,does a confirmation dialog pop-up,and it freezes afterwords,or does it just freeze as soon as you click 'Fix selected problems'?

Were you having the freezing problems before you updated on May 1st,or did Spybot only start freezing when fixing after that?

If you've scanned with Spybot at any time,and didn't try to fix any problems,have you noticed if Spybot hung when you were closing it?

Did you also run Windows Cleanup?Roughly how long is it taking for Spybot to scan your computer?

Do you have any other antispyware applications on your computer?

I usually first run cleanup because there are less files for spybot to check which takes somewhere in the neighborhood of 35 to 45 minutes to complete.

I ran a spybot check before making this post to check exactly how much time it took, but got side tracked and forgot about it. On this recent check it found 17 problems:

AdRevolver In RED 3 entries
    Cache one entries
    Common Dialogs one entries
    Cookie two entries
    History one entries
    HitBox In RED 4 entries
    HitsLink In RED one entries
    Log 4 entries

I told spybot to fix selected problems (the red ones) and nothing happened it simply froze, so no dialog box popped up.

I have Ad-Aware SE,

Before coming to this forum I googled "spybot keeps freezing" and found a different blog explaining to download "FREE" various software fixes.

So being the idiot that I am I downloaded some of them. When I started using them I realized that to remove the problems these "FREE" fixes actually cost money. I removed all of them except eTrust PestPatrol. I would have removed it but I can't find it on the list from add remove programs on the control panel.

Please note that I had the problems with spybot before I downloaded the program in my attempts to fix my computer. I still would like to remove the eTrust program since it seems to have no real purpose and it was recommended by using dubious and misleading methods.

Any additional help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Bill