Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SD Helper problems

Default SD Helper problems

Morning...
    Have always had the Resident set to Active for the SD Helper with no problems until just recently. Now, it will not stay checked. If I check it on at start of day, seems to stay until puter is shut down, but is gone next day when booting up.
    Any ideas as to why ? What I may have done wrong ? (Todays' updates came thru and defs files updated and immunized, so things seem to be working.) Would appreciate any help and advice.

Lightbulb so you are saying teatimer (sd resident)

is sometimes loaded at startup, and then sometimes not? Is this correct?

If so: Please open spybot. Click mode-advanced mode. Say yes. Click tools-resident. uncheck teatimer (protection over all systems active). Then wait a few seconds. close spybot. Restart your system. Go back in spybot and Recheck it. Make sure both of the options (there are 2 checkboxes) are checked. wait 2 seconds. restart your system. Does teatimer load always now?

Another thing to try is right clicking the teatimer icon (when it is loaded) next to your clock, and click exit spybot sd resident. Then restart. See if it loads then.

Test it out, does teatimer (spybot resident protection) load at startup now all the time?

If you are still having problems; I would advise a uninstall and then download the latest update from spybot and install it. Get back to me and let me know if any of this solved your problem. Thanks!
    Last edited by 129260; 2008-05-07 at 18:30.

Quote Originally Posted by 129260 View Post
    is sometimes loaded at startup, and then sometimes not? Is this correct?

If so: Please open spybot. Click mode-advanced mode. Say yes. Click tools-resident. uncheck teatimer (protection over all systems active). Then wait a few seconds. close spybot. Restart your system. Go back in spybot and Recheck it. Make sure both of the options (there are 2 checkboxes) are checked. wait 2 seconds. restart your system. Does teatimer load always now?

Another thing to try is right clicking the teatimer icon (when it is loaded) next to your clock, and click exit spybot sd resident. Then restart. See if it loads then.

Test it out, does teatimer (spybot resident protection) load at startup now all the time?

If you are still having problems; I would advise a uninstall and then download the latest update from spybot and install it. Get back to me and let me know if any of this solved your problem. Thanks!

Hi, 129260... Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    It's not teatimer. It is the SD Helper - bad DL blocker for IE. Teatimer is fine, stays checked in tools-resident, shows up in the taskbar as always. (SB has always been run in advanced mode thru all the past versions, SD Helper checked and stayed checked from day to day.) Any other ideas?
    Thanks again.

bobnrobin

What antivirus program are you using (Brand, version and last update date)?

Quote Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
    bobnrobin

What antivirus program are you using (Brand, version and last update date)?

Thanks, Greyfox.
    Since Aug. 07 - Norton Antivirus 2007 - update 5-7-08. No settings changed. No new programs/hardware, etc. installed. Thinking I first noticed that the SD Helper was not staying checked about 2 weeks ago. NAV has always played nicely with SpyBot, AdAware, SpyWareBlaster in the past. SpyBot is 1.5.2.2, 5-07-08 updates plus the tiny 2kb one of today. MSN Explorer dialup. IE6 installed and works, but seldom use the IE screen. Do delete cookies and History daily. Curious, open SB go to "resident" it's unchecked, check it, close SB, reopen and it's unchecked again....
    Any other info needed, please advise. Thanks again.

Lightbulb there are security programs....

that will disable spybot's bad download blocker from running, because the other security program wants to monitor it. Such things as a antiviruis, or firewall, or another anti-spyware program can use its own "bad download blocker." I suggest that you check all your settings in your security programs. Another thing is, the bad download blocker from spybot only works in Internet explorer. If you use another browser as your default, it wont stay checked. Try checking that out as well. Spybot fully supports immunization (blocks bad cookies, some downloads, and known bad websites) on the following browsers however, so it can protect the other browsers as well: Firefox, Internet explorer, and Opera.
    Last edited by 129260; 2008-05-08 at 18:24.

Question

bobnrobin

Something similar but not quite the same occurred yesterday on a friends PC, but it stopped occurring before I found the answer, however I tend to agree with 129260's idea that it may be interaction from another protection program, maybe as the result of an update.

Just as a thought, could you try rebooting into safe mode (off line), start Spybot, tick the SD helper, and exit spybot. Start Spybot again and check whether it is still there, exit and then reboot into normal mode and check again. Please let me know what result you get.

Quote Originally Posted by 129260 View Post
    that will disable spybot's bad download blocker from running, because the other security program wants to monitor it. Such things as a antiviruis, or firewall, or another anti-spyware program can use its own "bad download blocker." I suggest that you check all your settings in your security programs. Another thing is, the bad download blocker from spybot only works in Internet explorer. If you use another browser as your default, it wont stay checked. Try checking that out as well. Spybot fully supports immunization (blocks bad cookies, some downloads, and known bad websites) on the following browsers however, so it can protect the other browsers as well: Firefox, Internet explorer, and Opera.
    Thanks, 129260...
    OK, checked out settings for Everything (that I could find) - Spybot, AdAware, SpywareBlaster, NAV, Win firewall, IE, etc.. All seem to be the same as they have been for the past several years. As I understand it, MSN Explorer is just a sort of "kids" version of IE, so should not affect whether or not the SD helper stays checked - It has NOT in the past years. i.e., only just recently has it come unchecked. Sorry, was unable to get here yesterday to answer. Thanks again...

Quote Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
    bobnrobin

Something similar but not quite the same occurred yesterday on a friends PC, but it stopped occurring before I found the answer, however I tend to agree with 129260's idea that it may be interaction from another protection program, maybe as the result of an update.

Just as a thought, could you try rebooting into safe mode (off line), start Spybot, tick the SD helper, and exit spybot. Start Spybot again and check whether it is still there, exit and then reboot into normal mode and check again. Please let me know what result you get.

Thanks, Greyfox.
    AhHa... "maybe as the result of an update"..... Could be, as ALL - NAV, SPBSD, SpywareBlaster, AdAware, etc. - have had "updates" recently. Even tho' nothing appears to be changed in the settings for any of them, guess one or more could have 'sneaked" in something. The only time I use the IE screen is after I'm off line and go there to delete cookies and history. IP is msn.com - dialup thru' MSNExplorer - IOW, if I click the IE icon, I still have to dial up thru' MSNExplorer to go online - click the butterfly.
    Dunno, maybe, if I leave it alone, it will fix itself, like your friend ? Ummm, Safe mode did not make changes....
    Thanks again.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by bobnrobin View Post
    Thanks, 129260...
    OK, checked out settings for Everything (that I could find) - Spybot, AdAware, SpywareBlaster, NAV, Win firewall, IE, etc.. All seem to be the same as they have been for the past several years. As I understand it, MSN Explorer is just a sort of "kids" version of IE, so should not affect whether or not the SD helper stays checked - It has NOT in the past years. i.e., only just recently has it come unchecked. Sorry, was unable to get here yesterday to answer. Thanks again...
    hmm interesting......I'll wait and see if greyfox has an idea for this one