Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help

Default need help

I am running Spybot S&D version 1.5.2 on Windows XP, SP-3. Spybot advised one problem couldn't be fixed. Reason could be associated files still in use. To try re-start. Did and same result. The best I can determine it is something to do with a registry key: Windows Explorer; [SBI $6107D172]. I would like to clear out this problem if someone could help me, I sure would appreciate it.

Hello,
    Quote Originally Posted by don hillery View Post
    Spybot advised one problem couldn't be fixed. Reason could be associated files still in use. To try re-start. Did and same result.
    Did you run a Spybot-S&D scan in safe mode? In safe mode, you have access to only basic files and drivers. When the machine is operating in normal mode all processes are running.
    Scanning with Spybot-S&D in safe mode allows the program to try and remove items that keep reappearing after a scan, despite having been 'fixed'.

1) Reboot your computer into SafeMode by doing the following:
    • Restart your computer
    • After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, begin tapping F8.
    • Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear.
    • Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode.

2) Open Spybot-S&D while still in safe mode.
    1. Close all browsers, check for problems and fix everything found in red
    2. Repeat until no more items are found in red
    a) Close Spybot-S&D
    b) Reboot back into Windows

Cheers
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Cheers

Thanks for the reply. I already done your suggestion in safe mode. Got the same results, tried to fix, same answer. The only red items are in a red tri-angle. Also the first heading in the results says: congratulations no immediate threats found. But sure would like to correct the problem. Any more suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Don

Smile

don hillery

The reference [SBI $6107D172] I believe refers to Registry entries for Explorer User Assistant history files. I suspect the reason Spybot cannot fix this is a permissions issue, however I don't use Vista so I can't help you further in that regard.

Because it is basically a tracking issue rather than an infection, you could probably highlight the particular entry in question when it appears after a scan (don't go to fix) and then right click and select the "Exclude this detection from further searches". Then start another scan - it should not be on the list to be fixed now and you should then be able to fix any other tracking entries that remain.

If anyone else comes up with a better solution, you can easily reverse the above.

Default [sbi $6107d172]

Greyfox

Thanks for the info. I will try that. I am running XP, SP3.

Don

Red face

don,

I'm sorry, you did say you were using XP SP3 in your initial post - I have no idea now why I thought it was Vista. A senior moment I guess. Anyhow I hope my suggestion helps.

Greyfox

Tried the suggestions (I think) but got the same results. I most likely did something wrong. I'm not very knowledgeable on this, so really appreciate your help.

don

Smile

Don,

Perhaps this screen shot might help.

Greyfox

Thanks, I'll give that a try..

dhac

Lightbulb

I had a very similer issue to this a few years back and I did the same thing that Grayfox has suggested and it worked like a charm.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!